Army of the Tennessee General Orders

67th Tigers

Captain
Hi all,

In my research into the arrest of McClernand, I have been unable to locate the Army of the Tennessee General Order which places the War Departments' General Order 67 of 1861 into effect.

The said general order requires that the "General in command" approve any item being sent to the press, and failure to do so is an offense under the 57th article-of-war. This was the pretext for McClernand's arrest.

I am interested in exactly what procedures were created by the Army of the Tennessee, as Grant's wording implies he only needed to be informed rather than explicitly approve the publication.

Does anyone know if there are compilations of the AoT's GO's etc.?

Hi all,

In my research into the arrest of McClernand, I have been unable to locate the Army of the Tennessee General Order which places the War Departments' General Order 67 of 1861 into effect.

The said general order requires that the "General in command" approve any item being sent to the press, and failure to do so is an offense under the 57th article-of-war. This was the pretext for McClernand's arrest.

I am interested in exactly what procedures were created by the Army of the Tennessee, as Grant's wording implies he only needed to be informed rather than explicitly approve the publication.

Does anyone know if there are compilations of the AoT's GO's etc.?
He was never "arrested", nor, as you have tried to claim without success in the ongoing thread "McClellan on Hooker at Antietam", was he ever "confined"/"charged"/"awaiting court martial" - the required steps that would follow his "arrest".

Vote Here:
He was never "arrested", nor, as you have tried to claim without success in the ongoing thread "McClellan on Hooker at Antietam", was he ever "confined"/"charged"/"awaiting court martial" - the required steps that would follow his "arrest".
Except when the Inspector-General, Provost-Marshal and a detail of 5 soldiers turned up at his tent at 0200 to do exactly that.

Vote Here:
Back