Army of New River/ Army of Western Virginia /Dept. of E. TN & Western VA

16thVA

First Sergeant
I have been trying to understand the creation of these various brigades but am experiencing a little confusion. The Army of New River seems fairly straight forward. When Henry Heth was commissioned a brigadier general in Jan. 62 he was assigned to Lewisburg, Greenbrier County. In his memoir he stated that he assembled brigades of approx. 2500-3000 men. The First Brigade was under Col. Jenifer, consisting of the 45th Va. Inf., the 8th Va. Cav., and Otey's battery. The Second Brigade was under Col. McCausland, consisting of 36th Va. Inf. and the 22nd Va. Inf. Heth was defeated at Lewisburg on May 23. In July Heth transferred to Kentucky to join Kirby Smith. Am I correct that the Army of New River was taken over by William Loring, and then by Echols late in 1862, or was it another commander?

I found the composition of the Army of Western Virginia under Breckenridge from April 1864, which includes elements of the Army of New River. I also see reference to Breckenridge being commander of the Dept. of E. Tennessee and Western Virginia.

OR Army of Western Virginia

I know I am missing some important details, anyone have an idea what they are? I want to do a Wikipedia page on the Army of New River and would like to get it right. Thank you.

I have been trying to understand the creation of these various brigades but am experiencing a little confusion. The Army of New River seems fairly straight forward. When Henry Heth was commissioned a brigadier general in Jan. 62 he was assigned to Lewisburg, Greenbrier County. In his memoir he stated that he assembled brigades of approx. 2500-3000 men. The First Brigade was under Col. Jenifer, consisting of the 45th Va. Inf., the 8th Va. Cav., and Otey's battery. The Second Brigade was under Col. McCausland, consisting of 36th Va. Inf. and the 22nd Va. Inf. Heth was defeated at Lewisburg on May 23. In July Heth transferred to Kentucky to join Kirby Smith. Am I correct that the Army of New River was taken over by William Loring, and then by Echols late in 1862, or was it another commander?

I found the composition of the Army of Western Virginia under Breckenridge from April 1864, which includes elements of the Army of New River. I also see reference to Breckenridge being commander of the Dept. of E. Tennessee and Western Virginia.

I know I am missing some important details, anyone have an idea what they are? I want to do a Wikipedia page on the Army of New River and would like to get it right. Thank you.

Personal note: This information is from my personal files accumulated over many years. The abbreviations and paraphrasing are my own and necessary to counter a deficiency on a keyboard.

5/8/62 Richmond orders-Gen Loring is relieved from duty with Gen Huger [Norfolk], & is assigned to the command of the Dept of SW Va., embracing the commands of Gen’ls Heth & Marshall.

Sept 62-In this campaign, Sept 10-16,1862 involving a mountain march of 169 miles from Giles CH, the Confederates lost eighteen killed & eighty-nine wounded. Lightburn reported a loss of 25 killed, 95 wounded, & 190 missing. Though he seized considerable booty, Lightburn was compelled to abandon immense stores, worth about one million dollars, & did not have time to destroy the important salt works. The Confederate forces were now in command of the Kanawha Valley.

Of the leaders in the campaign Gen Loring said: "To Gen’ls Williams & Echols, Col’s Wharton & McCausland, who were cdg Bgdes, I take pleasure in according the praise which they deserve for their efficient services & cordial execution of my commands."

Dept of SW Va
Organized 5/8/61 for the mountainous region of southwest Va.

Trans-Allegheny Dept

Renamed on Nov 25, 1862 & extended to the border of eastern Ky.

On Sept 25, extended to include the areas of SW Va. formerly encompassed by the Dept of East Tenn & forces east of Knoxville

3/19/64- the area around Saltville, Va. was added to the Dept &, briefly from April 23 to May 2, the entirety of the Dept of East Tenn was added to the Dept.

Cdrs:
  • Williams (temp.) - Nov 21, 1862 - Dec 10, 1862
  • Samuel Jones - Dec 10, 1862 - Feb 25, 1864
  • Breckinridge - Feb 25, 1864 - May 23, 1864
  • "Grumble" Jones - May 23, 1864 - May 31, 1864
  • Crittenden (temp.) - May 31, 1864 - June 22, 1864
  • John H. Morgan (temp.) - June 22, 1864 - Aug 22, 1864
  • Echols (temp.) - Aug 22, 1864 - Sept 17, 1864
  • Breckinridge - Sept 17, 1864 - Sept 27, 1864
Dept of East Tenn & Southwestern Va
Organized Sept 27, 1864- The Valley District was added on April 9, 1865 from the Dept of Northern Va.

Cdrs:
  • John C. Breckinridge - Sept 27, 1864 - Feb 20, 1865
  • Jubal A. Early - Feb 20, 1865 - March 29, 1865
  • John Echols - March 29, 1865 - April 19, 1865

12/10/62 Dublin Depot, W. Va., Gen Sam Jones issues orders:
I. In obedience to orders from the War Dept, the undersigned [Jones] assumes command of the Dept of Western Va.

12/24/62 S Jones to Palfrey A&IGO- Gen Marshall has made no report of his force-nor Gen Jenkins of his Cav-Exclusive of this command there are 5 Regts & 3 Bns of Infy Agg pres about 3500. Jenkins has 52 Co’s Cav barely organized-strength unknown

Abstract from report, in part of the Dept of Western Va., Gen Jones, for Dec, 1862; Hqs Dublin Depot.

Officers Men Pres for duty -Agg Pres

1st & 3rd Bgdes-Wharton 61 1,106 -- 1,340

2nd Bgde, Williams 97 1,276 ---1,603

4th Bgde, McCausland 67 1,098 ---1,367

Bryan's Btry --- --- 4 116

Chapman's Btry --- --- 3 98

Lowry's Btry --- --- 3 72

Otey's Btry --- --- 3 69

Stamps' Btry --- --- 3 87
Total 225 3,480

Sources:
Various diaries, books, etc.
Official Records
NARA RG 109 [see next]

A&IGO - Telegrams Received, 1862-1865, 1862 - 1865
ARC Identifier 7260753 / Local Identifier Chapter I Volume 21

A&IGO - Letters and Telegrams Sent, August 1861 - April 1862:
ARC Identifier 7403420 / Local Identifier Chapter I Volume 36

A&IGO - Letters and Telegrams Sent, May-December 1862, 05/1862 - 12/1862
National Archives Identifier: 6925788 Local Identifier: Chapter I Volume 37

A&IGO - Letters and Telegrams Sent, May-December 1862, 05/1862 - 12/1862
National Archives Identifier: 6925788 Local Identifier: Chapter I Volume 37

A&IGO - Letters and Telegrams Sent, May-December January-December 1863,
Chapter I Volume 38

A&IGO - Registers of Letters Received, January-March 1865, actually 01/1862-03/1862
National Archives Identifier: 6925793 Local Identifier: Chapter I Volume 48

A&IGO - Registers of Letters Received, April - June 1862
ARC Identifier 7403425 / Local Identifier Chapter I Volume 49

A&IGO - Registers of Letters Received, July - November 1862
ARC Identifier 7403426 / Local Identifier Chapter I Volume 50

A&IGO - Registers of Letters Received, November 1862 - March 1863, A-M
National Archives Identifier: 7403427 Local Identifier: Chapter I Volume 51

A&IGO - Registers of Letters Received, July 1862 - January 1863, N-Z
ARC Identifier 7403428 / Local Identifier Chapter I Volume 52

http://media.nara.gov/dc-metro/5965...-01-volume-053/rg-109-chapter-1-volume-53.pdf Register of letters received, Jan-March, 1863, A-M

Register of Letters, Virginia Forces, April - July 1861; and Register of Letters and Telegrams Received, Army of Northern Virginia, 1862-1865, 04/1861 - 1865
ARC ID: 7970742 / Local ID: Chapter VIII, Volume 232

Special Orders, Virginia Forces, April 1861 - June 1862: 04/1861 - 06/1862
ARC Identifier 7970745 / Local Identifier Chapter VIII, Volume 240 / MLR Number PI101 3

I don't know if it is of interest you, I have an ancestor in Otey Battery. His name is William Watkins Davis. I believe he is from Greenbrier County. He also served in the Signal Corp. 1864 he served on the staff of Gen. McCausland with the rank of captain. I have other ancestors from Lewisburg. Alfred Ward Grayson Davis is an ancestor of mine form Lewisburg. He may have been in Army of New River before going to the Confederate Quartermaster Dept.

I don't know if it is of interest you, I have an ancestor in Otey Battery. His name is William Watkins Davis. I believe he is from Greenbrier County. He also served in the Signal Corp. 1864 he served on the staff of Gen. McCausland with the rank of captain. I have other ancestors from Lewisburg. Alfred Ward Grayson Davis is an ancestor of mine form Lewisburg. He may have been in Army of New River before going to the Confederate Quartermaster Dept.

Thank you Jed. I have written several articles on Wikipedia on the batteries from WV but I haven't gotten to Otey's yet, but I will. Here is one I did on Lowry's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lowry's_Artillery

I reviewed my notes looking for references to "The Army of New River." I found very little with that specifier, but for what they may be worth, here they are, along with other concurrent events:

4/19 The 36th Va assigned to Gen Heth’s command

4/21/62 Gen Lee ordered Col Wharton to collect & organize the 50th​ & 51st​ Va. Regts & a Va. Bn [Derrick’s 1st​ Bn aka 23rd Bn] for immediate service-Under that order Wharton organized the Bgde

5/8/62 The Dept of Southwestern Va. was constituted on May 8, 1862 and designated as Trans Allegheny or Western Dept of Va. The territory extended "west to the eastern boundary of Kentucky & as far west of that boundary as circumstances may allow." By fall 1862 the name was changed to Dept. of Western Va. On Sept 27, 1864 the jurisdiction of the cdg officer was extended over "the reserve forces of East Tenn."

5/8 Loring assigned to command of the Dept

5/8-10/16/62 Loring-cdg Dept of SW Va-Loring had been assigned to the Dept of SW Va., & Gen Heth had gathered near Lewisburg a little force of good fighters called the ‘Army of New River.’ Loring eventually turned over command of his troops to Gen Echols on 10/15.

Heth’s 1st Bgde, under Col Jenifer, included the
45th Va. Infy, Lt-Col Peters,
8th Cav (Jenifer's)

Otey's Btry

Col McCausland, returned from the Fort Donelson campaign, commanded the 2nd Bgde,
36th Va.
22nd Va.

5/12 Report of Col Jenifer cdg 1st​ Bgde-I have the honor to submit my report, in reference to my Bgde, of the battle of Giles CH, which took place on the 10th:
Pursuant to orders, I marched from Camp Shannon at 10.30 p.m., in command of the 1st Bgde of the Army of New River, composed of 650 men of the 45th Regt, commanded by Lt Col W. E. Peters; 80 men of the 8th Va. Cav, under command of Lt Col Henry Fitzhugh, & one 6-pounder rifled gun & one 12-pounder howitzers, with 40 men, under Capt G. G. Otey…

5/13 Report of McCausland, 36th​ Va., cdg 2nd​ Bgde-I have the honor to submit the following report of the 2nd Bgde of the army commanded by Gen Heth…

5/16 Heth reports… I divided the command into two Bgdes & a reserve,

the first consisting of the 45th Va. (Lt Col Peters), Otey's Btry, & one Co of the 8th Va. Cav, under Col Jenifer, & the second composed of the 22nd Va. (Col Patton), Chapman's Btry, & one Co of the 8th Va. Cav, under Col McCausland,
The reserve consisting of fragments of three Co’s & two mountain howitzers, under Capt Vawter

5/16 Heth again attacked Cox, this time on Flat Top Mountain in present West Va., & Cox retreated. Heth then marched against Lewisburg which was held by Col George Crook. But the attack, which was made 5/23, failed & Heth retired to the Narrows.

5/20 the 26th​ Va Bn organized from those members of the 59th Regt who escaped capture at Roanoke Island, NC, 2/8/62, together with some recruits. Lt Col Edgar cdg

5/23 Heth received word that Crook had occupied Lewisburg & took the 45th & 22nd​ Va. & Finney’s Bn to drive them off. Heth mismanaged his affair, & Crook easily defeated the attack, with only the 45th Va. maintaining some order. Heth retired to the [New River] Narrows.

Heth had taken over, as the cdg officer of the Army of New River when Floyd was sent to Tenn. Heth was very disliked by the members of the 22nd Va. Reasons behind this disliking started during the Battle of Lewisburg.

It finally boiled over when Heth's army started to disobey orders. Heth was ultimately recalled to Lee's Army & Gen Echols reformed the New River Army to the Army of SW Va. the spring of 1863.

5/24/62 the 63rd Va organized

5/29 Wytheville-Requisition for camp equipage, clothing for McMahon’s Regt [63rd​ Va.] signed by Col Wharton, 51st​ Va., cdg Bgde-

Dept of SW Va
Organized 5/8/61 for the mountainous region of southwest Va.
Looks like he reported directly to General John C. Pemberton's army---per wikipedia link.
My 2d Great Uncle served with General Loring at Yazoo Pass Expedition and Sunflower River Expedition and beyond.

Looks like he reported directly to General John C. Pemberton's army---per wikipedia link.
My 2d Great Uncle served with General Loring at Yazoo Pass Expedition and Sunflower River Expedition and beyond.

10/16/62 Loring was relieved of command in SW Va, with Echols replacing him temporarily.

11/27 A&IG, S O #278/5-Loring ordered to Pemberton

12/13 A review of Rust’s &Tilghman’s Div’s under Gen Loring took place on Sat last [12/13] 12/17 Memphis Daily Appeal

12/15 Loring assgd to take over Lovell's 1st​ Corps-Gen Loring was assigned to temporary command of the Corps during Van Dorn’s absence in Dec 1862, & this assignment became permanent, his command being known as a Div of the Army under Gen Pemberton

Back