Army of New River/ Army of Western Virginia /Dept. of E. TN & Western VA

16thVA

First Sergeant
I have been trying to understand the creation of these various brigades but am experiencing a little confusion. The Army of New River seems fairly straight forward. When Henry Heth was commissioned a brigadier general in Jan. 62 he was assigned to Lewisburg, Greenbrier County. In his memoir he stated that he assembled brigades of approx. 2500-3000 men. The First Brigade was under Col. Jenifer, consisting of the 45th Va. Inf., the 8th Va. Cav., and Otey's battery. The Second Brigade was under Col. McCausland, consisting of 36th Va. Inf. and the 22nd Va. Inf. Heth was defeated at Lewisburg on May 23. In July Heth transferred to Kentucky to join Kirby Smith. Am I correct that the Army of New River was taken over by William Loring, and then by Echols late in 1862, or was it another commander?

I found the composition of the Army of Western Virginia under Breckenridge from April 1864, which includes elements of the Army of New River. I also see reference to Breckenridge being commander of the Dept. of E. Tennessee and Western Virginia.

OR Army of Western Virginia

I know I am missing some important details, anyone have an idea what they are? I want to do a Wikipedia page on the Army of New River and would like to get it right. Thank you.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)