Discussion Arms - “Bogus” Bucktail Brigade

Kyle Kalasnik

First Sergeant
Good Morning,

I am curious if anyone would know what types of muskets / rifles were carried by the 143rd, 149th, and 150th PA Volunteer Infantry Regiments?

I have been reading about this brigade and it service during the war, lots of information is available regarding the action it saw on 1 Jul 1863 just northwest of Gettysburg on the first day of the battle. But I cannot seem to find what they were armed with.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration on this question.

Respectfully,
Kyle

Last edited:
Principally, all three regiments were armed with Enfields. At least, that is the weapon that they were drawing ammunition for.

Ryan
I appreciate it.

Would there be a website or book that would have listings as to what regiments had what rifles/muskets?

I know some outfits also exchanged smoothbores for rifles or what have you, and some had a mix of say Springfield 1861s and Enfields.

Respectfully,
Kyle

I appreciate it.

Would there be a website or book that would have listings as to what regiments had what rifles/muskets?

I know some outfits also exchanged smoothbores for rifles or what have you, and some had a mix of say Springfield 1861s and Enfields.

Respectfully,
Kyle

I got that information from Busey and Martin's Regimental Strengths and Losses at Gettysburg which lists the ammunition supply draws for the Army of the Potomac.

Ryan

Thanks for the source info

Just to clarify a bit more, the armaments list can be found on pages 202-206 which includes the Infantry and cavalry regiments but not artillery batteries (the specific guns for each battery are listed under the artillery brigade numbers lists).

Ryan

My database shows all three were issued Enfields. In addition, it appears that 150th PA was also at some time issued some Sharps rifles. Can anyone confirm that?
Incidentally, why do you call them the "'bogus' bucktail Brigade"?

My database shows all three were issued Enfields. In addition, it appears that 150th PA was also at some time issued some Sharps rifles. Can anyone confirm that?
Incidentally, why do you call them the "'bogus' bucktail Brigade"?
That and “Junior Bucktail Brigade” was what the 42nd PA referred to that brigade as.

Reactions: WJC
Back