Armisport 1863 Sharps "Sporting Rifle", convert to the Infantry version?

Noonanda

Private
Just won a Armisport 1863 "Sporting Carbine (54 cal 30" barrel) for a killer price. But I would like to Convert it to the 1859 Infantry Version. Has anyone ever done it? Both have the 30" barrel, 54 Cal. and it looks like just the front end wood and hardware would need to be changed out.

This is what I just won, there are a couple mistakes in the listing. It should be 1863 not 53, and a 30" barrel vice a 29". Both of these mistakes made it difficult to figure out what these go for. Cabelas has em for regular price of around $1500.
https://auctions.thegunrunner.com/l...n-sporting-rifle-29-barrel-italy-black-powder

It has been done but there is more to it than just the wood. Barrel bands, springs & the person I know that did it also added a bayonet lug & a correct lock with the Lawrence pellet primer.

I may be wrong but I think he bought all the parts from Lodgewood, IIRC an original lock plate and did some of the work himself.

Yes it is possible and he had a wonderful shooter. But he wasn’t happy with the accuracy and it took more work than he thought. He ended up selling it and using the money toward a Shiloh.

I would suggest contacting Lodgewood and seeing what they suggest.

Back