Restricted Arguments for preserving the cultural memory of major Civil War figures?

jcaesar

Private
From Lincoln to Lee and Grant statues of Civil War figures have continued to fall this year. But, its also clear this movement goes much deeper then monuments and seeks to destroy one by one the very cultural memory of the figures themselves.

Its a question that needs to discussed because it seems that the answer is not self evident in the current age, but why keep the monuments or preserve the history? Why do they deserve to have their cultural memory preserved and what does it give people today?

Why not follow the view put forth by Lee and ironically repeated today by those who are also argue he was for all intents and purposes the love child of Satan and Judas Iscariot, that there should be no monuments about the Civil War and the conflict should be forgotten as people are emotional and it would just make them uneasy, divide them, and cause future strife?

This is something that needs to be carefully considered with the arguments refined over the next several months of why these figures deserve to not be culturally destroyed because there is a growing elite acceptance to allow just that.

PapaReb

First Sergeant
Because those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. The failure to compromise (on both sides) plus the "grey" areas left at the founding of the country plus many other factors contributed to pulling the country apart. I see preservation of the history of paramount importance, the dismantling of the country's history from it's founding to present is, in my opinion, a great danger for our future generations.

Andersonh1

Brigadier General
I sometimes think that the reason our historical figures are being attacked is precisely because past generations drew inspiration from them, be they Lee, Lincoln or Washington. If these men are all persona non grata, who do we look to for inspiration when it's time to fight oppression or stand up for what we believe the United States should be?

jcaesar

Private
I sometimes think that the reason our historical figures are being attacked is precisely because past generations drew inspiration from them, be they Lee, Lincoln or Washington. If these men are all persona non grata, who do we look to for inspiration when it's time to fight oppression or stand up for what we believe the United States should be?

The ones who I believe instigated this incipient attempted cultural revolution I believe as well are more interested in their vision for what should be our future political-economic system and getting rid of what they view as possible road blocks.

But, they have convinced a ton of people who don't see underlying motivates that wiping out figures from the cultural memory is necessary to make disadvantaged groups feel empowered. I think on this level an argument has to be made to the second group on why these figures do in fact inform and empower individuals today.