GRAPHIC Are These Confederate or Union Dead?

Some kind of shoulder loops /brackets would likely mean a) the man was a Union officer and these were the supports for his looted shoulder bars; or b) he was a Confederate officer with a non-regulation shoulder bar jacket. if "b" is the case, wasn't that more likely for former US Army officers who joined the Confederacy?

The shoulder strap hardware that is visible in the picture is for the attachment of the metal shoulder scales issued early in the war but soon discarded by the soldiers as the war progressed as impratical. This man is a private or possibly an NCO but not an officer. See the attached picture.

Attachments

• Civil War Shoulder Scales-Hardware.jpg
    Civil War Shoulder Scales-Hardware.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 541
The bodies are bloated, making me think they've been there for a while. That seems to argue for them being CS. I've also seen this image identified in more than one book as being of CS dead, maybe Gettysburg.

I remember reading many years ago that one of the biggest differences between Union and CS dead was in the appearance of the bodies. CS dead were more apt to appear lean as in live and have a grayish color. Union dead would be bloated and turn dark. The difference was attributed to diet. But this theory is hard to test from photos. The Gettysburg dead as pictured were probably on the field several days in the July heat when these photos were taken. And the Roche (think that is the correct name) photos of CS dead that were taken at Ft Mahone were likely taken hours after the battle. I reference the Roche photos as a reference of CS dead that comes to mind easily. So this is just one theory and something to consider.

The debate on where the "Harvest of Death" image was taken has been raging for many years and despite the recent articles that have supposedly pinpointed the actual location the discussion continues. Quite frankly I am unsure if the actual place has been found. Not saying it hasn't been but it is very difficult with no major points to reference the picture. There are no big rocks, houses or bodies of water to match-up.

What I think is certain is these were Union soldiers with the majority of them wearing frock coats and they were behind Confedrate lines at some point. As their shoes are all missing and the gear thrown about seems to confirm scavenging. What also needs to be considered is the sheer volume of dead men in the picture. Consider that for every man seen here there were 5-6 men wounded. Were just seeing the guys that were killed instantly or died soon thereafter. The scores of wounded that made it to the rear with probably on average another 2-3 of those 5-6 dying from wounds or infection means the fighting at this particular location must have been desperate.

Whether or not the bodies were moved, it's interesting to note they were usually photographed face-up. I've seen these pictures for years but never thought of this until just now. I kind of doubt they all died that way.
Easier to remove boots that way up.

On the top photo, by the head of the man in the center there are two objects. I can't make them out but could they be a clue?

Whether or not the bodies were moved, it's interesting to note they were usually photographed face-up. I've seen these pictures for years but never thought of this until just now. I kind of doubt they all died that way.
In this Gettysburg photograph at least three of the casualties are lying face down.
00868u[cropped]2.jpg

They also seem to still have their shoes. Of course these men were gathered or more likely dragged together in this grouping by a burial party. Probably how the soldier closet to the camera got his pants pulled down so far revealing his bottom...poor guy.

I think the original photo mis labeled the dead Federals as Confederates,hence the confusion.

I've seen this picture several times and if I'm not mistaken and my memory serves me, this is a picture of Union dead. I'm pretty sure of this.

gh

Very interesting thread. Not to stray from the subject but from the above post from sjw83071 regarding the appearance of deceased Confederates. This a photo taken after the Battle of Spotsylvania Courthouse in 1864. The soldiers are supposed to be from Ewells Division. Its obvious that rigor-mortice is apparent not knowing how long the men were laying about there. But lean bodies nevertheless.
civilwarEwellsDeadSpotsylvania1864crop01.jpg

I've seen this picture several times and if I'm not mistaken and my memory serves me, this is a picture of Union dead. I'm pretty sure of this.

gh

These are Confederate dead gathered for burial at the edge of the Rose Woods. They were killed in the July 2, 1863 fighting at Gettysburg. The picture was recorded on July 5 or 6, 1863.

Very interesting thread. Not to stray from the subject but from the above post from sjw83071 regarding the appearance of deceased Confederates. This a photo taken after the Battle of Spotsylvania Courthouse in 1864. The soldiers are supposed to be from Ewells Division. Its obvious that rigor-mortice is apparent not knowing how long the men were laying about there. But lean bodies nevertheless.
View attachment 20355

These Confederates almost look like they are sleeping in comparison to the men in the Gettysburg view. At least the one closest to the camera. Of course this is in May...and only one day after the battle. The Confederates in the Gettysburg view was taken I believe 4 days after they were killed and in the heat and humidity of Pennsylvania in July.

I was just looking around online and found this image. I think it was taken by Alexander Gardner after Gettysburg.

View attachment 16219

As I've come to understand it, the photos of post-battle dead, specifically those from Antietam and Gettysburg, are exclusively Dead Confederates. The Union controlled the field after those battles and the Confederates left their dead unburied and moved on. Interestingly enough, I've seen pictures where burial parties dug graves for Union soldiers but left the Confederates unburied, at least for the moment... like the case of this photo:

View attachment 16220

Anyway, back to the subject of the first photograph. Recently, I forget where, I saw this photo captioned as dead union soldeirs after Gettysburg. I think this was determined by their dark jackets. Maybe this is true (and notice the bodies are missing shoes). But I also notice these men are wearing shell jackets instead of the typical infantry 4-button sack coat. As I understand it, shell jackets or frock coats were more common among Confederates. Perhaps these men are wearing dark gray, 7-button, Richmond Depot shell jackets like this one:

View attachment 16223

For the top photo I would say Federal as most appear to have been relieved of their shoes.
Just a thought.

Back