Are there enough Authentic Campaigners to sustain the hobby

29511308_342962452861352_6952111642612741857_n.jpg

I think the campaign style events are actually growing. Looks like the Liberty Rifles are getting nice turnouts at their events. Most of the younger guys I see coming into the hobby are wanting to go more toward campaigning. Wish they had a few campaign style events down in my neck of the woods.

Probably there is. I am 35 and have been doing this off and on since 1990 with my father. I doubt I will ever see anything like the 135th anniversary of Gettysburg again. The "immersion" events will almost never be local for me. I live in northern Illinois. I think the hobby is about to change pretty drastically in the next 10 years. I think for the most part it will be a good thing. Better quality events that are not for profit. On the other hand, there is a pretentiousness within that community, and if there are no local events can you still catch the random person and convince them to join a CW group. Also, uniform guidelines which I think are a good thing, can make the hobby too expensive for the person that can barely afford it anyway. That is unless the person learns how to make things for themselves much like I have tried to do.

Yes. Although it won't be at the mega event level. Civil War is one of several niches in a hobby that only used to have one or two. I have personally participated in immersion events with a very mainstream kit, but a lot of knowledge, enthusiasm and period skills. They often make up the difference. Organisers should look for wooded locations. They hide distractions well.

I'm not sure.

Do they actively advertise and recruit new members?

Do they host public demonstrations to garner interest?

I understand that campaigners are highly critical of mainstream reenacting, yet I wonder what they do to generate awareness and membership.

I've given my contact info out @ public demonstrations for years and never seen a recruit come from the effort. When people who know me personally say "how do I get started reenacting?" they do it and stick. Perhaps the recruitment value of spectator events is overstated.

These days, campaigner events have more participants than the mainstream events.

For those concerned, keep in mind that most authentic groups put on as many public programs as they do events that are for reenactors only, and are equally well attended.
I'm glad to hear it!

I've given my contact info out @ public demonstrations for years and never seen a recruit come from the effort. When people who know me personally say "how do I get started reenacting?" they do it and stick. Perhaps the recruitment value of spectator events is overstated.
No offense, but it sounds like you have tried to recruit people that absolute most terrible way. The way groups I have been in have done it is if someone wants to try it out, they try it out now if they want. Not contact you later. If its Saturday at the end of an event and you want to fight in the battle Sunday, come on out. Someone would lend you a gun and some uniform pieces. Maybe they had them in the car incase of an event such as that, or they just stayed in camp or found some other useful position. One off random recruits happen when they get a chance to go out.

I would never allow a completely untrained person that I don't know in the ranks without it having been agreed on before the event.
Our muskets should be respected as the firearms that they are. And that need training.
The same is required to be able to stand and move in formation and not mess it up and be a danger to people around your.

I find the idea completely horrible.

Also here in Denmark To have an public event of any sort we need a permit from the police. (this also include a concert, or market or similar, protest or whatever)

The moment there are any public present, we need a "3rd party" insurance. That cover if anyone from the public get hurt.
I don't think any company would cover us, if random people could join... and if they actually was willing to cover the event, it would be very, very expensive.

And I actually think this is the same in at least parts of the US...

Back