Are the number of Civil War round tables growing?

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
How are the numbers of Civil War Round Tables doing? I understand some shut down and some start up, but is the total numbers of CWRT increasing or decreasing? I only have 5 Civil War round tables within an hour or hour and fifteen minutes from my house. There were 6, but one shut down a month ago. If I we willing to drive 2 hours then there would be 7 or 8 Civil War round table I could attend. Attending 7 or 8 CWRTs each month seems a bit much. Or is attending 8 CWRTs each month not truly a bit much?

So let us stay with CWRTs withing an hour hour and fifteen minutes away from me. Five CWRTs seems like a reasonable number for me to join and if I can attend four each month this seems like a fair amount. The real problem is how many of the five are struggling? As far as I know all five of these have less members than they did a decade ago and have less attendance at each meeting. I do not believe any are in danger of folding up at this time, still a dropping membership and dropping attendance is troubling for their long term health. If twenty-five to thirty members at each meeting a bad sign? I am not sure what the minimum attendance at each meeting is the tipping point. But at twenty-five to fifty members at each meeting, I do not see a reason for any new Civil War Round Table to form in my area. So both the number of total Civil War Round Tables has fallen as is the total number of members attending the remaining area Civil War Round Table members at the remaining Civil War Round Tables is falling.

Lucky you! The closest CWRT to me is a 3 1/2 hour drive.
Regards
David

As far as I know, there are only three Roundtables in Alabama, one in Birmingham, one in Huntsville and the newest one in Florence. I have had the pleasure to speak to the Birmingham and Florence Roundtables and while they may be suffering the same problems that many social organizations are having, with the members aging out and especially the difficulty of getting younger people interested and involved; the two that I have visited are in good health.

I think the number of CWRT's is shrinking. In my state (Arkansas), in the last few years, we have had the following CWRT's disband: North Little Rock Searcy, Lonoke, Hot Springs Village. There was one in the NW corner of the state, but I think it is gone, too. The remaining CWRT's in Arkansas are Batesville (hanging on by a thread -8-10 people attend each meeting, none under about age 65), Helena (unknown attendance/membership) and Little Rock (about 20-25 people attend each meeting, down from an average of perhaps 40 a decade ago, no members under about age 55).

The younger generation has no knowledge of history (which is the fault of our education system), no interest in history and no interest in learning about history (CW or otherwise).

I think the number of CWRT's is shrinking. In my state (Arkansas), in the last few years, we have had the following CWRT's disband: North Little Rock Searcy, Lonoke, Hot Springs Village. There was one in the NW corner of the state, but I think it is gone, too. The remaining CWRT's in Arkansas are Batesville (hanging on by a thread -8-10 people attend each meeting, none under about age 65), Helena (unknown attendance/membership) and Little Rock (about 20-25 people attend each meeting, down from an average of perhaps 40 a decade ago, no members under about age 55).

The younger generation has no knowledge of history (which is the fault of our education system), no interest in history and no interest in learning about history (CW or otherwise).
I believe there is one in Bella Vista that is active. I don't attend because it is too far to drive and the times conflict with a volunteer commitment. I'm not sure how many attend but I would be curious to know.

Also I'd dispute the assertion that nobody young is interested in history. I think they are less likely to attend meetings, but I think that is an issue many organizations face and is not exclusive to history.

We have about 30 members in our group. We seem to be doing well but not growing.

Totally agree. Just saw that genealogical program "Who do you think you are?" and Mandy Moore (didn't know who she was until this program) asked after she found out an ancestor was a "governor" of the Virginia colony..."is that an important job?"
However..even in the late 90's the segment of the Jay Leno show "Jay walking" asked an African-American college student
what the Emancipation Proclamation was and even SHE was clueless!
Our nation has conveniently "massaged" historic facts/happenings to be politically correct so our descendants have become so ignorant/gullible of the facts/written relics to the point they don't even question/research the source.
Outside of that-aka...don't teach history anymore because it may be offensive!

How are the numbers of Civil War Round Tables doing? I understand some shut down and some start up, but is the total numbers of CWRT increasing or decreasing? I only have 5 Civil War round tables within an hour or hour and fifteen minutes from my house. There were 6, but one shut down a month ago. If I we willing to drive 2 hours then there would be 7 or 8 Civil War round table I could attend. Attending 7 or 8 CWRTs each month seems a bit much. Or is attending 8 CWRTs each month not truly a bit much?
There is a CWRT or at least there was one recently in Marina Del Rey not far from where I live in Culver . . It starts at 7pm Thursday night. It takes me an hour and a half to drive 16 miles to Burbank at a speedy 12 miles an hour or so. I have to be up at 5;15 am to get to work.
I am not criticizing the CWRT but folks got to work.
Leftyhunter

We have a pretty good one in the McHenry County Civil War Round Table in McHenry, Illinois, with meetings every second Tuesday of the month, except January and February at the Woodstock Library. We also have discussion group meetings once a month in Crystal Lake.

RoadDog

Within a 90 minutes drive I have three (known by me) CWRT. Ft. Snelling/Twin Cities, St. Croix Valley in Stillwater MN, and the one I am a member of Litchfield MN. Litchfield is the home of a G.A.R. museum.
One I am a member of has attendance between 25 and 50. Really varies often depending on the topic/speaker. Most who attend are 50 and above. I have spoken twice and am one of the 'on-call' speakers if someone gets sick.

2019-03-14 14.52.28.jpg

2019-03-14 14.52.41.jpg

2019-03-14 14.49.57.jpg

Major, what a, rich man you are to be so close to that many CWRTs!
Lefty, I can't imagine driving such roads that you are barreling on at 12 MPH!
Bless, you have both a CWRT and a GRA Post as well.
Regards
David

We do have a GAR museum less than 40 miles away. Some real nice stuff including some nice Lady Axillary items.

In my experience, the number is shrinking and so is the membership. As the older members die off, there's nobody to replace them. I live in a city of 2.1 million. Our CWRT here has never gotten much above 100 members in the entirety of its existence, and has perhaps 75 now. Really good turnout is 45-50, with an average age of probably 63 or so. I'm one of the younger members at 58. It really is terribly perplexing.

deceasing here if your under 60 your a young-un there......

Think a big liability today is history has become so political.

Is there a web site where you can search for one near you?

Back