Are Revolution and Secession the same thing?

Are Revolution and Secession the same thing?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BuckeyeWarrior

Sergeant
Comparisons are often made between the American Revolution and the southern rebellion. With some even claiming it was the same thing. Yet the majority of the southern rebels claimed they were seceding and our founding fathers clearly stated they were revolting. First let's define what we mean by these two words.

Revolution- a fundamental change in political organization especially : the overthrow or renunciation of one government or ruler and the substitution of another by the governed.

Secession- the action of withdrawing formally from membership of a federation or body, especially a political state:

So are revolution and secession the same thing?

My answer is no, they are not the same thing. Revolution is an overthrow, i.e. outside formal processes; where secession is a formal (done in accordance with rules of convention or etiquette; suitable for or constituting an official or important situation or occasion) withdraw, i.e. it is done within the rules of the organization.

NedBaldwin

Major
Comparisons are often made between the American Revolution and the southern rebellion. With some even claiming it was the same thing. Yet the majority of the southern rebels claimed they were seceding and our founding fathers clearly stated they were revolting. First let's define what we mean by these two words.

Revolution- a fundamental change in political organization especially : the overthrow or renunciation of one government or ruler and the substitution of another by the governed.

Secession- the action of withdrawing formally from membership of a federation or body, especially a political state:

So are revolution and secession the same thing?

My answer is no, they are not the same thing. Revolution is an overthrow, i.e. outside formal processes; where secession is a formal (done in accordance with rules of convention or etiquette; suitable for or constituting an official or important situation or occasion) withdraw, i.e. it is done within the rules of the organization.
The terms may be different but there is a lot of overlap.
For example, when people in say South Carolina declared that they were not going to be part of the USA any longer and were going instead to be part of the CSA it was both at the same time:
1) an act of withdrawal (secession)
as well as
2) the renunciation of a the US government and the substitution of a new CSA government (revolution)

When the Governor of South Carolina wrote "the true course is to take Washington city immediately", he is showing he intends Revolution, as that action would be an overthrow. And given doubts about the "rules of the organization" or what constituted a "formal process" it does look like revolution

Secession is a political act exercised by a state where it restricts the jurisdiction of a ruling government within the territory that the state occupies. Secession is not revolution because it does not seek to overthrow a ruling government or to totally transform the social and political order...it seeks to preserve the social order through withdrawal and self-government. Since secession --when recognized by a ruling government such as ???-- is a legal, political act, it therefore is a non-violent act.

Revolution on the other hand, a moral and natural right of the people rather than a political act, is an overthrow of the existing authority and the transformation of a social or political order and is generally a violent act.

BuckeyeWarrior

Sergeant
The terms may be different but there is a lot of overlap.
For example, when people in say South Carolina declared that they were not going to be part of the USA any longer and were going instead to be part of the CSA it was both at the same time:
1) an act of withdrawal (secession)
as well as
2) the renunciation of a the US government and the substitution of a new CSA government (revolution)

When the Governor of South Carolina wrote "the true course is to take Washington city immediately", he is showing he intends Revolution, as that action would be an overthrow. And given doubts about the "rules of the organization" or what constituted a "formal process" it does look like revolution
I respectfully disagree. There is no overlap between revolution and secession. One is extra-legal (revolution) and one is legal (secession). Secession is a formal process (done within the rules of the organization). Since our organization (the constitution) has no formal process for a state to leave the union there can be no secession. What the southern rebels did was revolt, not secede. The only way they could have seceded was to have a constitutional amendment passed that create a formal process of secession.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
I think there is a difference between revolution and peaceable secession.

However, there appears (to me) to be no difference between revolution and unilateral secession, especially when cannon fire and theft is employed to achieve it.