Are pecan pies Civil War era or post Civil War era?

Sometimes we get one that is made the same way, baked the same temp and time, and just will not set up.
No doubt that someone mislead ya'll on purpose.

From what I remember (down here) every lady would always smile and exchange recipes.
But they all were withholding their secret ingredients from each other.

It really wasn't a big issue with cakes & pies.

But such secrets determined which Lady made the best buttermilk biscuits & cornbread.

:bounce:

The little native pecans are said to be the tastiest if you got the patience to "'Crack" one. Myself, I don't. it's too much work,shelling one pecan for that little amount of "meat" inside really isn't worth it, to me anyway. Hard as a Rock pretty much describes them. But I hear they are used in certain commercial fruit cake recipes because of the flavor and that certain oil that only natives possess.

Harvesting pecans has and will always be ... very labor intensive.
Thus the high price.

Very similar to the seafood (crab industry).
Also a labor intensive endevor.

Before market, both require humans to "pick-out" the shells from the quality parts of either product.

The little native pecans are said to be the tastiest if you got the patience to "'Crack" one. Myself, I don't. it's too much work,shelling one pecan for that little amount of "meat" inside really isn't worth it, to me anyway. Hard as a Rock pretty much describes them. But I hear they are used in certain commercial fruit cake recipes because of the flavor and that certain oil that only natives possess.
Yeah, "Labor intensive" that's the phrase I was looking for. Thanks, 7th Mississippi Infantry.

Back