Discussion Are "Civil War Military Historians Freaking Out"?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

John Hartwell

Major
Forum Host
Please excuse me if this has already been mentioned.
The Society for Military History has publihed an excellent white paper on "The Role of Military History in the Contemporary Academy.":
http://www.smh-hq.org/docs/SMHWhitePaper.pdf
It includes the observation: "Popular television also complicates the lives of academic military historians. “Infotainment” via commercial media shapes ideas about what military history is, and how its practitioners allocate their time and energy. The academic subfield struggles also to free itself from association with popular writing and popular film that grasps too readily at “great man” theories, triumphalism, nationalism, gauzy sentimentality, or superficial tales of derring do. We face a suspicion that those drawn to the field are mesmerized by the whiz-bang quality of arms technology, or the pure drama of organized violence. We find ourselves called upon, sometimes, to answer the charge that by studying armed conflict we are glorifying it or condoning it. Because the field was predominantly male for a long time, many of our colleagues assume that it remains so, and is hostile to women."

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
Please excuse me if this has already been mentioned.
The Society for Military History has publihed an excellent white paper on "The Role of Military History in the Contemporary Academy.":
http://www.smh-hq.org/docs/SMHWhitePaper.pdf
It includes the observation: "Popular television also complicates the lives of academic military historians. “Infotainment” via commercial media shapes ideas about what military history is, and how its practitioners allocate their time and energy. The academic subfield struggles also to free itself from association with popular writing and popular film that grasps too readily at “great man” theories, triumphalism, nationalism, gauzy sentimentality, or superficial tales of derring do. We face a suspicion that those drawn to the field are mesmerized by the whiz-bang quality of arms technology, or the pure drama of organized violence. We find ourselves called upon, sometimes, to answer the charge that by studying armed conflict we are glorifying it or condoning it. Because the field was predominantly male for a long time, many of our colleagues assume that it remains so, and is hostile to women."
Thanks for that.

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
Here is the latest moral panic among some historians:

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Lubliner

First Sergeant
@Pat Young I finished reading this thread (taking me about 4 hours). I have a very difficult question to ask being uninformed with academia and scholar programs. After what I consider being published as an untenable stance by Stauffer and flimsy reinforcement by Downs what proceedings occur afterward toward some sort of closure?
First, Stauffer has placed not just himself, but Harvard University in a very dim light that proves an appearance of being tainted. Straining the qualifications of excellence, he has bungled a most stringent atmosphere of prestige. Honor would dictate a retraction or apology.
Class distinctions have already formed divisive judgements on publishing such criteria that resonates like crinkling aluminum foil; as long as it remains pronounced into public discussion it will continue to tinkle its metallic dissonance.
Second, the dismay that must be felt within the academic and scholarly community over the contested claims in open court is like being witness to a fender-bender where no one is hurt, but emotional panic ensues. I would hold this as a judgeable offense with due retribution with its prominence and importance within the academic community. But I am only a witness to the scene and nothing more.
What standard is used in cases like this; dismissal, loss of tenure, reduction of salary....nothing?
Thanks,
Lubliner.