Archbishop John Hughes: "No Yankee...Was a Stronger Unionist"

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
New York's Archbishop John Hughes was an Irish immigrant and the most powerful Catholic churchman in the United States at the time of the Civil War. Hughes was notoriously combative in defense of immigrants in the United States. He is typically identified with the War Democrats. This article was published in a Protestant publication.

Methodist
Saturday, Aug 02, 1862
New York, NY
Page: 1

hughes.JPG

I know it may seem obvious, but if that man doesn't *look* EXACTLY like what you'd expect from a period Archbishop, then I don't know who will. It's like every image I've ever had of period religion summed up with one image. Thank you for posting!

"Dagger John" Hughes was a formidable character. Yes, his priority was the acceptance of immigrants and Catholics as Americans, not the abolition of slavery. It's important to understand that protestant abolitionists at that time hated immigrants and especially Catholics, as much as they hated slave owners.

Off the top of my head, I remember Nativists in the late 1850s were burning Catholic churches, in New Jersey. Archbishop Hughes threated the mayor of the City of New York:

"If any Church is burned in this Diocese, I shall lay waste to your city."

Something like that - I would have to look up the exact quote but I admit it, I admire "Dagger John."

I know it may seem obvious, but if that man doesn't *look* EXACTLY like what you'd expect from a period Archbishop, then I don't know who will. It's like every image I've ever had of period religion summed up with one image. Thank you for posting!
You are welcome.

Back