April 1 is park day!

Thank you. I will be going to Fort Pillow, as that's the only park around me that's not doing it on April 8th, the same freaking date that the Shiloh 155th I'm reenacting in will be!!

What a great idea.

The closest one for me is Galena, and that's 3 hours away. That's a bit of a cruise to rake leaves. I'd consider it a bit more if they were going to have a Grant reenactor supervising us. :D

"General, you need to lead by example!" *hands him a rake*

At least I can bump up this thread. :thumbsup:

I know you folks are trying to do some good but IMO society changes as in subtle ways and I just dont think volunteering is a good system at this time. Aside from getting a good feeling from doing something positive for free, it seems that when I and people I know donate their time, effort and resources they dont even get a thank you for their efforts. If that was all we got that would be fine but all too often I think you are label one a whipping boy and suddenly you have 50 other assignments heaped on you.

Many of these organizations have bukko bucks. Let them pay people to do the work they seek done and we would all be the better for it. If they were paying you to clean up they wouldnt be so arrogant for fear of being charged more money or getting a bad product.

I have seen some really disturbing events in the past year in the volunteer fields.​

If that was all we got that would be fine but all too often I think you are label one a whipping boy and suddenly you have 50 other assignments heaped on you.
I don't know if you're referring to specific, park-related volunteering or volunteering in general, but I will say that yeah...you do have to be careful when offering your time, as some people (not all) will try and push for more. It's important to learn how to say, "Nope. Not gonna do that." :D

I don't know if you're referring to specific, park-related volunteering or volunteering in general, but I will say that yeah...you do have to be careful when offering your time, as some people (not all) will try and push for more. It's important to learn how to say, "Nope. Not gonna do that." :D

I was referring to my and my acquaintances recent experiences in the Massachusetts area. No one place in particular. I wish I had a greater sampling of volunteering but I think people have been souring on it more and more for years. I never even hear of the Peace Corp any more and when I was a lad in the 1960s I heard and knew some people who went overseas to help others. You do that now you might end up with your head severed or put up for ransomed. Doctors without Borders seems like a great cause but I wonder if they travel with a security contingent.

To me volunteering has become like communism - a noble idea, that is hijacked by those in power and then **** on those doing all the work.....If you want to improve something, give to reliable charities....Salvation Army just about tops the list. This has nothing to do with the ACW so I am going to shut up. Ill close with capitalism works.

I wish I had a greater sampling of volunteering but I think people have been souring on it more and more for years.
I certainly can understand being frustrated by people who take advantage of those with good intentions.

The place where I volunteer has great coordinators who are serious about protecting us and making sure we are treated well. It makes a huge difference ~ I'm really happy there.

If we didn't have those coordinators looking out for us, perhaps my experiences would be different.

I certainly can understand being frustrated by people who take advantage of those with good intentions.

The place where I volunteer has great coordinators who are serious about protecting us and making sure we are treated well. It makes a huge difference ~ I'm really happy there.

If we didn't have those coordinators looking out for us, perhaps my experiences would be different.

I am glad to hear you are getting fulfilment out of your efforts.

I only wish you the best and hope it would work as well for others

Back