Appomattox Surrender Confederate Unit Strengths

I've seen marginally smaller numbers reported elsewhere for the 3rd NC Infantry. That unit had ceased to be an effective regiment since the May 12, 1864 Battle of Spotsylvania when it (as part of Steuart's Brigade, Allegheny Johnson's Division) had nearly been wiped out. Since that disaster, the much-reduced unit, now the size of a mere company, had done hard duty against Sheridan in the fall '64 Shenandoah Valley campaign, but had been recovering and re-fitting in winter camp just north of Petersburg.

The Yankees had again damaged the small "regiment" in the fighting at Fort Steadman and at Sayler's Creek before the last day at Appomatox. The unit commander, a young man named Willie Parsley, had been killed at Sayler's Creek in one of the regiment's last battlefield casualties.

Missing in the reported numbers of the 3rd NC at this final stage of the war was my relative and avatar, Lt. George W. Ward. He had received a "leave of indulgence" to go home to NC in February and never repoted back for duty. I've never been able to learn whether he deserted or whether he simply was unable to obtain transportation back to his unit in those chaotic last days of the war. In any event, he survived the war, got married to a young woman who lived nearby, and had eight children before succumbing to heat prostration while fighting a forest fire. So, according to my lights, he was an active member of the unit at the surrender whose name was never recorded as such.

He's absolutely correct. In no way can you use the Appomattox numbers as a gauge of the ANV's strength by the end, unless you really want to show what they're like on April 9th. But that army is nothing like the one that began the final campaign. Between Fort Stedman, Five Forks, the Breakthrough, Sailor's Creek, and many other engagements Lee's army saw significant losses in the two weeks before the surrender. Not to mention the unknown number that straggled along the march. I think you'd be better off finding the number prior to March 25, 1865 to accomplish what you want.
I think we all know the ANV in the final days was melting away like snow on a summer day, but the OP did say he was looking for what the ANV was like at the "end", which I assume is April 9th. If anything, I have heard that the actual parole numbers inflate what was actually available to Lee at the end, as the numbers include stragglers who only caught up with the army after the surrender had already occurred.

0 men in the 4th Corps artillery. All were captured.
In fact, not all were captured.
The following officers of the 4th Corps artillery surrendered at Appomattox:
Col. Hilary P. Jones, 4th Corps Artillery commander;
Surg. William Green, 4th Corps Artillery chief surgeon;
Capt. C. W. Slaten, Macon (Georgia) Artillery;
Lt. H. M. Hamer, Macon (Georgia) Artillery;
Lt. Thomas M. Archer, A, 38th Virginia Artillery;
Lt. William S. Archer, C, 38th Virginia Artillery; and
2nd Lt. A. D. Brown, 38th Virginia Artillery.

The following men of F. W. Smith's Battalion surrendered at Appomattox:
Capt. William F. Dement, 1st Maryland Battery, commanding battalion
Lt. John Gale and 36 men, 1st Maryland Battery
Capt. John W. Drewry and 67 men, Southside (Virginia) Artillery
Lt. Robert P. Braswell and 59 men, Neblett (Virginia) Artillery
Lt. Thomas R. Adams and 61 men, Johnston (Virginia) Artillery
Capt. Thomas Kevill and 29 men, United (Virginia) Artillery
4 men, D, 38th Virginia Artillery

There are some caveats you should remain aware of when considering final unit strengths formally surrendered at Appomattox. The only unit I can speak for directly is the 2nd Mississippi, although I am 99% certain the other units in Davis's Brigade, and probably all of at least Heth's Division, suffered the same fate. During the Petersburg breakthrough on April 2nd, most of the 2nd Mississippi was surrounded and surrendered, trapped against Hatcher's Run (which was swollen by recent rains, and impassable) with Union troops on the other three sides. They surrendered some 99 men that I can count directly from their CMSRs. I do not believe any of this group escaped across Hatcher's Run to be included in the 20-odd men surrendered there. Almost, if not all, of these 20 men were on detached duty at the time of the April 2nd breakthrough. This is not to imply that the regiment wasn't severely reduced prior to April 2nd...it obviously was, but it consisted of at least 120 men or so present or detailed to the immediate area, not just the 20 who surrendered at Appomattox. So just taken at face value, the Appomattox numbers can be somewhat misleading.
Additionally, many members of Davis's brigade were en route to the ANV under Colonel John M. Stone of the 2nd Mississippi Infantry, but were captured during the Battle of Salisbury.

I've seen marginally smaller numbers reported elsewhere for the 3rd NC Infantry. That unit had ceased to be an effective regiment since the May 12, 1864 Battle of Spotsylvania when it (as part of Steuart's Brigade, Allegheny Johnson's Division) had nearly been wiped out. Since that disaster, the much-reduced unit, now the size of a mere company, had done hard duty against Sheridan in the fall '64 Shenandoah Valley campaign, but had been recovering and re-fitting in winter camp just north of Petersburg.

The Yankees had again damaged the small "regiment" in the fighting at Fort Steadman and at Sayler's Creek before the last day at Appomatox. The unit commander, a young man named Willie Parsley, had been killed at Sayler's Creek in one of the regiment's last battlefield casualties.

Missing in the reported numbers of the 3rd NC at this final stage of the war was my relative and avatar, Lt. George W. Ward. He had received a "leave of indulgence" to go home to NC in February and never repoted back for duty. I've never been able to learn whether he deserted or whether he simply was unable to obtain transportation back to his unit in those chaotic last days of the war. In any event, he survived the war, got married to a young woman who lived nearby, and had eight children before succumbing to heat prostration while fighting a forest fire. So, according to my lights, he was an active member of the unit at the surrender whose name was never recorded as such.
I believe the 1st and 3rd NCST had been combined during the Valley campaign (totaled about 75 men when combined) and I do not think they ever separated. Hard to tell, seen them reported both ways. My 2X Great Uncle was with the 3rd.

Additionally, many members of Davis's brigade were en route to the ANV under Colonel John M. Stone of the 2nd Mississippi Infantry, but were captured during the Battle of Salisbury.
Yes, Stone had no idea the army had already surrendered on April 9th. I have searched without success for exact numbers for the group of Mississippians that were accompanying Col. Stone back to Petersburg - I've seen mentions from a few dozen to several hundred. I tend to think at this stage of the war, it was probably on the lower end of the estimate. I can't imagine the number was higher than a couple hundred men, at most, at the fight at Salisbury.

I believe the 1st and 3rd NCST had been combined during the Valley campaign (totaled about 75 men when combined) and I do not think they ever separated. Hard to tell, seen them reported both ways. My 2X Great Uncle was with the 3rd.
Oh? My family ancestor was in Company B.

Yours?

I'm always looking for contemporary letters or memoirs from 3rd NCST members.

Last edited:
I've gotten some comments regarding the fact that many of these units had substantially more men captured in the preceding weeks, at places like Fort Stedman, Hatchers Run, Five Forks, Fort Gregg, and Saylers Creek, to name a few notable example. If anyone has numbers on those captured in these battles, if they could discern who came from which units, it would be swell. These I presume to be harder to find in comparison.
I don't know actual numbers but the NC 49th was overrun and surrounded at Five Forks and the majority of their numbers either killed or captured. What was left at Appomattox largely consisted of those who were in a position that offered them both the vantage point to see what was happening at Five Forks and offered an opportunity of regress. They were on the far left flank at Five Forks. Per survivor accounts several charges were attempted and while successful in pushing back the primary attacking forces ultimately it led to them being cut off and surrounded. When this became obvious the Union soldiers were calling out to them pleading for their surrender to avoid needless bloodshed and the unit finally relented after continuing to fight for some while through the pleas.

A number of Co. H members were in the party of deserters (also from Co. K) involved in the mass execution of 3rd NC Reg. soldiers Sept. 5, 1863. Wiliam Barefoot, of Co. H, was said to be the ringleader.
True. Uncle Samuel Melvin was with the 3rd until around Jan 1865, he was then transferred to the Home Guard. I guess he was just wore out from all those miles on his feet.

Most of the Mississippi brigade was pinned up against Hatcher’s run and captured by elements of the vi corps which rolled up Heth’s division from the north. Others were captured by the 24th corps army of the james attacking from the south.

Most of McComb’s tennessee brigade escaped.

You Could read the official reports of the rebel brigade and division commanders from the lee headquarters papers in my book the supplement to the official records volume 7

In fact, not all were captured.
The following officers of the 4th Corps artillery surrendered at Appomattox:
Col. Hilary P. Jones, 4th Corps Artillery commander;
Surg. William Green, 4th Corps Artillery chief surgeon;
Capt. C. W. Slaten, Macon (Georgia) Artillery;
Lt. H. M. Hamer, Macon (Georgia) Artillery;
Lt. Thomas M. Archer, A, 38th Virginia Artillery;
Lt. William S. Archer, C, 38th Virginia Artillery; and
2nd Lt. A. D. Brown, 38th Virginia Artillery.

The following men of F. W. Smith's Battalion surrendered at Appomattox:
Capt. William F. Dement, 1st Maryland Battery, commanding battalion
Lt. John Gale and 36 men, 1st Maryland Battery
Capt. John W. Drewry and 67 men, Southside (Virginia) Artillery
Lt. Robert P. Braswell and 59 men, Neblett (Virginia) Artillery
Lt. Thomas R. Adams and 61 men, Johnston (Virginia) Artillery
Capt. Thomas Kevill and 29 men, United (Virginia) Artillery
4 men, D, 38th Virginia Artillery
Johnson’s division of beauregard’s forces remained in the same place on the eastern face of the Dimmock line from June 1864 to march 1865. So did the artillery. When Longstreet recovered from his may 1864 wounds he resumed command of the old first corp and Lt Gen Richard H. Anderson was shifted over to lead the departed Beauregard’s command now designated the fourth corps. Johnson’s division saw almost no action after June and its brigades were huge. Later Gordon and his 2nd corps traded places with Johnson in preparation for the Fort Stedman attack. But the artillery did not move.

Johnson’s division of beauregard’s forces remained in the same place on the eastern face of the Dimmock line from June 1864 to march 1865. So did the artillery. When Longstreet recovered from his may 1864 wounds in October 1864 he resumed command of the old first corps and Lt Gen Richard H. Anderson was shifted over to the eastern front to lead the departed Beauregard’s command now designated the fourth corps. Johnson’s division saw almost no action after June and its brigades were huge. Later Gordon and his 2nd corps traded places with Johnson in preparation for the Fort Stedman attack. But the artillery did not move.

Most of the Mississippi brigade was pinned up against Hatcher’s run and captured by elements of the vi corps which rolled up Heth’s division from the north. Others were captured by the 24th corps army of the james attacking from the south.

Most of McComb’s tennessee brigade escaped.

You Could read the official reports of the rebel brigade and division commanders from the lee headquarters papers in my book the supplement to the official records volume 7
Is there an online version? Where can I find these books? I know there's a lot of people who are interested in them.

Back