Apple Recipes, "Corporal's Kitchen" Scott's Battery Newsletter

As many of you know, I write a feature called "Corporal's Kitchen" for my reenacting unit's monthly newsletter. As always, I enjoy the research, editorial and recipes that I feature. Equally, I enjoy sharing with my friends here, as I know y'all appreciate the history and taste of the foods handed down to us! It warms my heart to read the responses! I thank you all for the honor that you show by caring for our common history of Civil War food!
Below is my latest submission for our October newsletter:

Corporal's Kitchen-Apple Recipes

"It is remarkable how closely the history of the apple tree is connected with that of man." Henry David Thoreau

"It rained last night every time I was on guard. I came off guard duty at 1am. Went and got some apples"- Diary of Homer Harris Jewett, 1861 (Born in Pella, IA. Served as Private with Co. D, 7th Regiment, Missouri Cavalry, Federal. After the end of the Civil War, Homer moved south into Louisiana and was never heard from again as he went missing after March 9, 1866).

"CSA stands for corn, salt and apples, the staple of the Confederate soldier," said a Rebel soldier at Gettysburg when asked by a civilian what the letters CSA stood for.

As October is upon us, our souls are filled with the crispness of the Autumn air, the smell of woodsmoke eminating from chimneys warming freshly cooled homes and the sights of trees bursting forth with red, gold and brown leaves. As the season changes for our soldiers of 1861-1865, so would their foraged diet change, based upon the bounty given by Mother Nature.

In deference to that, we are pleased to present some seasonal recipes featuring the Apple! We hope you try these treats with your families, both remembering and teaching about the Americans who fought for their Freedoms and lands.

All recipes are from "Housekeeping In Old Virginia" By Marion Cabell Tyree, 1877

Apple Sauce. Pare and slice some tart apples, stew until tender in a very little water, then reduce to a smooth pulp. Stir in sugar and butter to the taste, a squeeze of lemon juice and a little nutmeg. - Mrs. S. T.

Fried Apples. Slice apples without peeling, cut and fry some thin slices of breakfast bacon until thoroughly done, remove the slices from the vessel, adding water to the gravy left. Put in apples and fry until done, sweetening to taste. Mrs. G. B.

Spiced Apples. 8 pounds apples pared, 4 pounds sugar, 1 quart vinegar, 1 ounce stick cinnamon, 1/2 ounce cloves. Boil the sugar, vinegar, and spices together, put in the apples when boiling, and let them remain until tender, then take them out and put them in a jar, boil the syrup down, and pour over them.

Apple Pickle.
3 pounds apples.
2 pounds sugar.
1 pint vinegar.
1 teaspoonful mace.
1 tablespoonful beaten cinnamon.
1 dozen cloves.
2 teaspoonfuls allspice.
1 tablespoonful beaten ginger.
1 tablespoonful celery-seed.

Boil until the apples are perfectly clear. - Mrs. J. A. S.

Apple Charlotte. Equal quantities stewed apples and bread crumbs, one spoonfull butter, three eggs beaten up and stirred in at the last, just before baking. Spoonful wine, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon peel, and plenty of brown sugar. Stir together, and bake quite a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
As many of you know, I write a feature called "Corporal's Kitchen" for my reenacting unit's monthly newsletter. As always, I enjoy the research, editorial and recipes that I feature. Equally, I enjoy sharing with my friends here, as I know y'all appreciate the history and taste of the foods handed down to us! It warms my heart to read the responses! I thank you all for the honor that you show by caring for our common history of Civil War food!
Below is my latest submission for our October newsletter:

Corporal's Kitchen-Apple Recipes

"It is remarkable how closely the history of the apple tree is connected with that of man." Henry David Thoreau

"It rained last night every time I was on guard. I came off guard duty at 1am. Went and got some apples"- Diary of Homer Harris Jewett, 1861 (Born in Pella, IA. Served as Private with Co. D, 7th Regiment, Missouri Cavalry, Federal. After the end of the Civil War, Homer moved south into Louisiana and was never heard from again as he went missing after March 9, 1866).

"CSA stands for corn, salt and apples, the staple of the Confederate soldier," said a Rebel soldier at Gettysburg when asked by a civilian what the letters CSA stood for.

As October is upon us, our souls are filled with the crispness of the Autumn air, the smell of woodsmoke eminating from chimneys warming freshly cooled homes and the sights of trees bursting forth with red, gold and brown leaves. As the season changes for our soldiers of 1861-1865, so would their foraged diet change, based upon the bounty given by Mother Nature.

In deference to that, we are pleased to present some seasonal recipes featuring the Apple! We hope you try these treats with your families, both remembering and teaching about the Americans who fought for their Freedoms and lands.

All recipes are from "Housekeeping In Old Virginia" By Marion Cabell Tyree, 1877

Apple Sauce. Pare and slice some tart apples, stew until tender in a very little water, then reduce to a smooth pulp. Stir in sugar and butter to the taste, a squeeze of lemon juice and a little nutmeg.

Fried Apples. Slice apples without peeling, cut and fry some thin slices of breakfast bacon until thoroughly done, remove the slices from the vessel, adding water to the gravy left. Put in apples and fry until done, sweetening to taste.

Spiced Apples. 8 pounds apples pared, 4 pounds sugar, 1 quart vinegar, 1 ounce stick cinnamon, 1/2 ounce cloves. Boil the sugar, vinegar, and spices together, put in the apples when boiling, and let them remain until tender, then take them out and put them in a jar, boil the syrup down, and pour over them.

Apple Pickle. 3 pounds apples, 2 pounds sugar, 1 pint vinegar, 1 teaspoonful mace, 1 tablespoonful beaten cinnamon, 1 dozen cloves, 2 teaspoonfuls allspice, 1 tablespoonful beaten ginger, 1 tablespoonful celery-seed. Boil until the apples are perfectly clear.

Apple Charlotte. Equal quantities stewed apples and bread crumbs, one spoonfull butter, three eggs beaten up and stirred in at the last, just before baking. Spoonful wine, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon peel, and plenty of brown sugar. Stir together, and bake quite a long time.
So much one can do with apples.I am a big fan of spiced apples,only think of them in the fall though,wonder why not more often.have to my apple butter most mornings.never heard of apple pickleworth a try,but my favorite has to be fried apples as you can have them sweet or savory.

Thanks so much for all these great apple recipes. Given the profusion of apples at the moment these options will come in handy.

In case anyone wonders what Apples Charlotte looks like here it is - apparently a lot of modern recipes call for the use of Lady Fingers to keep all the apples tucked up inside. Looks yummy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back