Apple Cake in a cast iron skillet

Mrs. V

1st Lieutenant
2.png

1 C white sugar (I used splenda blend 1/2C)
1/3 C butter, softened
1 egg
1tsp baking soda
1.5 tsp Cinnamon
1.5 Cups of flour
1.5tsp Vanilla
2 Cups of chopped apples. (I used jonathan and delicous) I have a corer/peeler thingy..makes life easier!!

Pre-heat oven 350F lightly grease a cast iron skillet. In a bowl, mix your flour, Cinnamon and baking soda. Set aside.
Cream butter and sugar together until fluffy. Add the egg and mix well.

Add in the dry ingredients and beat well. Fold in Apples. Place batter in cast iron skillet and bake for 45 mins, or until toothpick comes out clean.

My dough was pretty crumbly, but that I think was because I used the sugar substitute. I just pressed the dough into the pan. Next time I think I may add nuts and maybe even raisins..

Yes you could make this in a dutch oven while camping, just put it on the coals, and add the coals to the lid.

Added the Flour measure..Sorry..shouldn’t type and talk at the same time!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
1/3 C butter, softened
1 egg
1tsp baking soda
1.5 tsp Cinnamon
1.5tsp Vanilla
2 Cups of chopped apples. (I used jonathan and delicous) I have a corer/peeler thingy..makes life easier!!

Pre-heat oven 350F lightly grease a cast iron skillet. In a bowl, mix your flour, Cinnamon and baking soda. Set aside.
How much flour do you use for this recipe? All purpose or self-rising?

Ok, trying to answer the two questions..as for apples, I didn’t vary the cooking times for the different varieties. I quite like the occassional al dente peice...

Flour was the all purpose one you find on the store shelves..Pillsbury I think...

I can also say that this cake will be better tomorrow..if there is any left! Lol..Chewy, and the crust is crisp, would be more if I had use “real” sugar. I do like the relatively small ingredient list. Seems to me to be more period. And I can see this with just about any fruit that likes the taste of cinnamon and vanilla..peaches..blue berry..and you could serve this with vanilla ice cream as well. We didn’t too many carbs..

View attachment 399024

1/3 C butter, softened
1 egg
1tsp baking soda
1.5 tsp Cinnamon
1.5 Cups of flour
1.5tsp Vanilla

Add in the dry ingredients and beat well. Fold in Apples. Place batter in cast iron skillet and bake for 45 mins, or until toothpick comes out clean.

My dough was pretty crumbly, but that I think was because I used the sugar substitute. I just pressed the dough into the pan. Next time I think I may add nuts and maybe even raisins..

Yes you could make this in a dutch oven while camping, just put it on the coals, and add the coals to the lid.

Added the Flour measure..Sorry..shouldn’t type and talk at the same time!!!
Thanks, I will make this for my next cast iron cooking get together

@Mrs. V
Another question? can you use less sugar in the recipe or like you did a sugar substitute? Being a diabetic got to watch sugar intake.. My wife wanted to know if we can use Brown sugar as a substitute?

Last edited:
@Mrs. V
Another question? can you use less sugar in the recipe or like you did a sugar substitute? Being a diabetic got to watch sugar intake.. My wife wanted to know if we can use Brown sugar as a substitute?
Perhaps white sugar may be a tiny bit better in your case (https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/brown-sugar-for-diabetics). I prefer brown sugar because it is richer tasting but, when using brown, I add a mite more. BTW--int the article, scroll down to "artificial sweeteners".

@Mrs. V
I have recently found a sugar sub called “Swerve” they make granular sugar, powdered and brown. They are really good in baking.

Back