Appearance of Israel B. Richardson

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
This is a quote from a book I am reading ( Civil War Journal of a Union Soldier, P.C. Zick). The company had just reached Detroit to join the 2md Michigan Infantry and had yet to meet their colonel.

"The first morning after the guards were posted, the sentinel at the main gate was approached by a stocky-built dark-brown man with a stiff black mustache and a strong voice, having a decided nasal twang, who wore a plug hat that had evidently been much used as a chair cushion, and a Prince Albert coat that showed the canvas stiffening through a rent six-ices long in the breast. The guard said to him "Halt, you old duffer! You can't go in there."
The dark man replied, "I guess I can go in; I am colonel of the regiment."
The sentinel said to him, "Go way from here. No such old vagrant as you can play that on me."

This is a quote from a book I am reading ( Civil War Journal of a Union Soldier, P.C. Zick). The company had just reached Detroit to join the 2md Michigan Infantry and had yet to meet their colonel.

"The first morning after the guards were posted, the sentinel at the main gate was approached by a stocky-built dark-brown man with a stiff black mustache and a strong voice, having a decided nasal twang, who wore a plug hat that had evidently been much used as a chair cushion, and a Prince Albert coat that showed the canvas stiffening through a rent six-ices long in the breast. The guard said to him "Halt, you old duffer! You can't go in there."
The dark man replied, "I guess I can go in; I am colonel of the regiment."
The sentinel said to him, "Go way from here. No such old vagrant as you can play that on me."
Got these pictures of Israel B. Richardson from Wikipedia.
220px-IBRichardson.jpg

General-Kimball.jpg

Another Richardson anecdote related by historian Bruce Catton in his Army of the Potomac Trilogy tells the story of a group of his soldiers joining an older man who they found skinny dipping in a nearby creek who laughed and joked with them. Only later around headquarters did one of the bathers ask the same man if he could tell them where to find Gen. Richardson and was told "I'm him - but sometimes I'm Greasy Dick!"

I knew one of them wasn't.

I easily recognize this man, but can't for the life of me remember who he is! I thought at first it was John R. Kenly, but that's wrong. I'm pretty sure I remember him for service in the Shenandoah Valley though.

Aaahh - Nathan Kimball! According to Wikipedia,

In March 1862, he fought in the Shenandoah Valley, commanding a brigade at the Battle of Kernstown. On the second day of the fighting at Kernstown, he temporarily assumed command of the division of wounded Brigadier General James Shields, and then pushed back Stonewall Jackson in a successful counterattack. It was one of the first repulses that Jackson had suffered. In recognition of Kimball's performance, he was promoted to brigadier general on April 16, 1862. With the victory at Kernstown, Kimball had now participated in early Civil War defeats of both Robert E. Lee and Thomas J. Jackson.

If I were at home I'dve reached over on the shelf for my copy of Ezra Warner's Generals in Blue and found him; at least I was right about the Shenandoah Valley!

Aaahh - Nathan Kimball! According to Wikipedia,

In March 1862, he fought in the Shenandoah Valley, commanding a brigade at the Battle of Kernstown. On the second day of the fighting at Kernstown, he temporarily assumed command of the division of wounded Brigadier General James Shields, and then pushed back Stonewall Jackson in a successful counterattack. It was one of the first repulses that Jackson had suffered. In recognition of Kimball's performance, he was promoted to brigadier general on April 16, 1862. With the victory at Kernstown, Kimball had now participated in early Civil War defeats of both Robert E. Lee and Thomas J. Jackson.

If I were at home I'dve reached over on the shelf for my copy of Ezra Warner's Generals in Blue and found him; at least I was right about the Shenandoah Valley!
There you go. Got him.

Good to put a face to a name (Kimball). Kimball led a brigade at Antietam and fought at the Sunken road as part of French's division. Richardson's division followed on the heels of Kimball's brigade toward the "Bloody Lane". Richardson was mortally wounded shortly after the infantry fighting there stopped in the early afternoon.

Color Sergeant D. G. Crotty, 3rd Michigan: “He never cared much about his dress which consisted of a jacket, an old straw hat, and trousers, in the side pockets of which his hands are generally thrust. This was his every-day attire, without any insignia of rank about him; but with these rough outlines, we all know he has a head and heart. Everyone loved the good natured and plain old 'Fighting Dick.’’

Private Perry Mayo: “His countenance is stern, and when he gives an order, he means it; but, he is a man, every inch of him.”

Richardson married Frances A. Travor of Detroit on May 29, 1861 (Richardson's first wife and a child had died while he was stationed in the southwest during the early 1850s). Richardson had been engaged to another woman, but when the young lady found out that the 2nd Michigan was a 3 year regiment, she refused. She could handle a 3 month enlistment, but not 3 years. "Very well, Madam," Richardson declared,"there are others who will. Good Day!” Supposedly, he crossed the street, and less than ten minutes later proposed to a girl he'd only met twice before. She accepted, and Israel and Frances were married within two weeks. “Col. Richardson was married yesterday morning,”one of his men wrote. “The effect was excellent. He was never so pleasant before as at battalion drill yesterday.”

“Genl. Richardson is a great fat man somewhat given to lie abed in the morning, but I believe him to be a well-meaning and brave man.” O. O. Howard

Back