Appalachia county secession vote map 1860-1861

16thVA

First Sergeant
I've been trying to think of a way to do this map using the modern Appalachian Regional Commission definition of "Appalachia" (pork version), and the various county votes from the states within southern Appalachia and I decided to use the old US Coast Survey of slavery and super-imposed an outline boundary using the ARC definition. It is a little wobbly in the deep south due to some county boundary changes but I think it is pretty accurate.

As only two states, Virginia and Tennessee, validated secession by public vote it is the public vote I used for those states. The other states left by convention, North Carolina and South Carolina being unanimous, and I was lucky enough to find the convention publications for Alabama, Georgia and Mississippi. In counties where the majority of delegates voted one way or the other I called that county for the majority. In counties where the delegate vote was split I designated them "Divided". Three counties in Tennessee had no information on their votes.

Of course, if North Carolina had allowed a public vote we would probably see a different outcome on their counties, but they didn't, so I had to go with what was. The numbers you see within the counties, if you can read them, show the percentage of that county's enslaved population.

Here is the VERY LARGE version

This is a smaller version

16712778426_4d5e7163fb_b.jpg

Back