1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Appalachia county secession vote map 1860-1861

Discussion in 'Civil War History - Secession and Politics' started by 16thVA, Mar 6, 2015.

1. 16thVA

16thVA First Sergeant

I've been trying to think of a way to do this map using the modern Appalachian Regional Commission definition of "Appalachia" (pork version), and the various county votes from the states within southern Appalachia and I decided to use the old US Coast Survey of slavery and super-imposed an outline boundary using the ARC definition. It is a little wobbly in the deep south due to some county boundary changes but I think it is pretty accurate.

As only two states, Virginia and Tennessee, validated secession by public vote it is the public vote I used for those states. The other states left by convention, North Carolina and South Carolina being unanimous, and I was lucky enough to find the convention publications for Alabama, Georgia and Mississippi. In counties where the majority of delegates voted one way or the other I called that county for the majority. In counties where the delegate vote was split I designated them "Divided". Three counties in Tennessee had no information on their votes.

Of course, if North Carolina had allowed a public vote we would probably see a different outcome on their counties, but they didn't, so I had to go with what was. The numbers you see within the counties, if you can read them, show the percentage of that county's enslaved population.

Here is the VERY LARGE version

This is a smaller version

[​IMG]

63rdOVI, DaveBrt, Desert Kid and 15 others like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Quara

Quara Private

This is very cool. Nicely done!

16thVA likes this.
  4. leftyhunter

leftyhunter Colonel

The book "The south bitterly divided by Professor Williams argues that their was quite a bit of voter intimidation by Confederates against does opposed to secession plus Margret Storeys book Loyalty and Loss the story of Alabama's Unionists argues the same. Its hard to say what states voter truly wanted to succeed vs which ones did not.
    Maybe a better way to look at each state is by county. Some counties in the South had more Union enlistments i.e Washington County Nc and Winston County Al vs most Southern Counties had more CSA enlistment. On the the other hand their where harsh penalties in the South for not enlisting. Some Southern counties had quite a few Unionist guerrillas such has Jones County Ms and the counties in the North of Al and the Wiregrass region of Al. Has a general rule the less slaves per -capita the more resistance to the CSA and the more slaves the more likely men would join the CSA. A complex subject at best.
    Leftyhunter

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
    kepi and 16thVA like this.
  5. Al Murray

Al Murray Sergeant

Very nice! Great work as usual!

This is a great book. I loved it.

leftyhunter and 16thVA like this.
  6. CSA Today

CSA Today Colonel

North Carolina unionists called for a convention to consider secession in February 1861. They thought they had the delegate strength to stifle any secession movement but lost their nerve when a number of conditional unionist started to go over the secessionists. They cancelled the convention and called for a state wide referendum instead. On February 28 the unionists won a narrow victory (47,323 to 46,672) thus ending the secessionist movement until Lincoln’s call for troops after the firing on Fort Sumter.

DaveBrt, Rebforever and 16thVA like this.
  7. AndyHall

AndyHall Colonel Forum Host

Texas also put secession to a vote.

Data Map Slaves v Secession Vote.jpg

63rdOVI, DaveBrt, KLSDAD and 4 others like this.
  8. 16thVA

16thVA First Sergeant

Yes, I looked at the map out of curiousity but since Texas wasn't part of Appalachia (YET!, the ARC still has a lot of work to do), I didn't include it. During my internet search I did find this interesting website from Texas which you might enjoy if you haven't seen it already.

http://www.txcwcivilian.org/id31.html

hanna260 likes this.
  9. AndyHall

AndyHall Colonel Forum Host

Sorry, didn't read closely.

10. leftyhunter

leftyhunter Colonel

Hi Al,
    I am currently reading a book Licolnites and rebels "about the most divided town in the South :Knoxville, Tn. One of the Newspapers in Knoxville " the Register" argued that of all the four presidential candidates only Breckendridge is truely committed to preserving the Union and does not represent a sectional party. Therefore it is more then likely some who voted for Breckendridge did serve in the Union Army or has Unionist guerrillas or militia.
    Leftyhunter

Al Murray likes this.
  11. NedBaldwin

NedBaldwin Major

I would bet that Andrew Johnson voted for Breckenridge.

12. Al Murray

Al Murray Sergeant

:D ironic!

Until I watched Kenneth Noe's video I did not realize what the ARC had done. Sorry, ARC, that ain't Appalachia. 16thVA I would love to see you someday expand that map to include at least the central Pa counties. I will have to do some reading and decide for myself what "Appalachia" would mean (I thought I knew) but its not that ARC boundary. Not criticizing your work at all, I am bashing the ARC!

As an aside, the "Mason-Dixon Line" is so over discussed as to be almost a Civil War myth. An 18th century survey to settle a boundary has nothing to do with what we talk about as north and south. North-central PA is as culturally south as eastern KY (but enough of my ranting) :smile coffee:

13. leftyhunter

leftyhunter Colonel

That could be. On the other hand why not vote for bell? Bell was not a fire eater although he reluctantly sided with the CSA when the war began but played a minor role if any at that.
    Leftyhunter

14. kepi

kepi First Sergeant

This is truly fascinating!!!
    One thing I must point out about Mississippi is some of the secession convention delegates were intimidated into changing their votes to favor secession. I believe most of these changes were in the northeastern section and along the coast/southern portion of the state. Still, this is a very informative map.

16thVA likes this.
  15. KLSDAD

KLSDAD First Sergeant

Don't mean to be snarky but I wouldn't put much stock in a newspaper's "argument"...especially back then. Does the book flesh out that argument?

16. kepi

kepi First Sergeant

17. Al Murray

Al Murray Sergeant

I agree that the newspaper would have its own slant. Even that slant gives me something to think about. If the northwestern Virginians were reading editorials like that it might answer my question. Thanks.

leftyhunter likes this.
  18. CSA Today

CSA Today Colonel

Rebforever likes this.
  19. kepi

kepi First Sergeant

I'm not 100% sure where they got the information in that blog.

20. kepi

kepi First Sergeant

In looking closer at that map, the area shaded in black for Alabama isn’t good land for large-scale agriculture, so I can see where the Planters wouldn’t have as much political influence there. Still, it is strange to think of Alabama in the way you describe.

Arkansas is a mystery.

CSA Today likes this.
  21. KLSDAD

KLSDAD First Sergeant

I'm sincerely interested in that argument....... that Breckenridge was more committed to preserving the union than Lincoln. That would sure set some heads around here spinning!

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)