AoNV at Appomattox: Which divisions

Luke Freet

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
(I could word this better, but...):
I am not familiar with the Appomattox Campaign in particular. I know that the Confederate command was pretty spread out and units organized under one formation were assigned to other formations (Like how Kershaw's divisions was assigned to Ewell's command along with the his miscellaneous division of artillerists, militia and sailors, all of which were captured at Sayler's Creek). I presume this was due to the dispositions of troops at the time of the abandonment of the capital and Petersburg. Could I get more detail as to which divisions were where and who's "column" they were assigned to?

See if this provides any help

I was gonna say i didnt want to just see the wiki page. I have seen it before plenty of times. However, I find it rather obtuse, considering the organizations each had an astericks, due to the aforementioned jumbling of units between commands/columns. I am quite certain Longstreet had only Fields' Division; Kershaw was under Ewell and Pickett under Anderson after Five Forks.
Gordon's Corps appears to have remain mostly contiguous.
A. P. Hill's Corps I know very little after the Union assaults on Petersburg and the death of Hill (apparently it was given to Longstreet?)
I may be quite wrong about these thingsbtw

There was a major reorg on 2nd April, with AP Hill dead and the force from the 2nd was:

1st/3rd Corps - Longstreet; divisions of Field, Heth (from 3rd), Wilcox (from 3rd) and Mahone (from 3rd)
2nd Corps - Gordon; divisions of Grimes, Early (Walker) and Gordon (Evans)
Anderson's Corps - Anderson; divisions of Pickett (from 1st) and Johnston, Hoke's division detached in NC
Ewell's Corps - Ewell; divisions of Kershaw (from 1st) and GWC Lee

The force concentrated at Amelia Creek on 5th April, and from then on was moving as a single column. There was no significant fighting until the 6th.

On the 6th April was fought Sailor's Creek, and Ewell's Corps was captured completely. On 8th April was fought Appomattox Station, and Anderson's Corps was captured. On 9th April Lee surrendered 1st/3rd and 2nd Corps.

Last edited:
Back