Anyone notice anything odd about this Missouri soldier?

I didn’t see any actual date on the note except for 1861-1865.. so what I think happened was that this person got the original note that was hand written and so doing could not read it so he typed it later after the war...

This would have been the work of a copyist in later years, right? I believe original records were re-copied according to standard formats to facilitate later retrieval and research. Thus the typewritten format. The 100-year age and the reference to Plymouth and the Mayflower got me wondering whether the copyist was playing a little joke.

Roy B.

The entry (both age and place of birth) are copies from the original muster rolls of the 5th Mo (Confederate). I looked him up on fold3.com

However, I could not find any likely match in the 1860 census -- and definitely no one with a similar name who was approaching 100 in that year.

It is odd though he says he enlisted in 1862, yet claims 1861 battles........both the 5th Mo (US volunteers) and 5th Mo (CSA) were formed later in 1862 then Jan 1st as well.

Enlisted in the Confederates States Army January 1st, 1862. Before that, he would have been in the Missouri State Guard at Carthage, Wilson's Creek, and Lexington -- not in the Confederate Army.

The entry (both age and place of birth) are copies from the original muster rolls of the 5th Mo (Confederate). I looked him up on fold3.com

However, I could not find any likely match in the 1860 census -- and definitely no one with a similar name who was approaching 100 in that year.

Good

Or he could be a total fake! I’ve just started dipping my toes into the water of fake soldiers at reunions and apparently there were A LOT of them. So many in fact, that Mosby refused to go to reunions because of all the fake veterans showing up years after.

And they had no problems with trying to make their own fake records either.
He is not a fake. He appears on all the 5th Missouri Muster Rolls. The information on the card was taken from the 5th Missouri Historical Roll, but the historical rolls for all the Missouri Brigade units are suspect as several contain incorrect information. He also appears in Bevier's list in his "Histpry of the First and Second Missouri Brigades," Appendix, p. 23.

Back