Anyone in Gettysburg for Remembrance Day?

Nice pictures! I'm in the shot of the Field Music group wearing the red sashes (1st Regiment, USV). A large part of the parade, including several tunes performed by our group, was broadcast live to the nation of China. Here's the FaceBook page for the Xinhua News Agency, which has the video covering the event. We start playing around 21:00.

Here's another video of the event:

Last edited:
Yes it is a rhetoric question.

Central theme in Mr Burton's Remembrance Day speech. I included a link to his speech above.

Though some think it incredibly tedious of me to point this out, please note that Remembrance Day, which includes a parade of living history groups is a separate event from Dedication Day, which is sponsored by the Park Service and held every year on the 19th of Nov. in the Soldier's National Cemetery to commemorate the delivery of the Gettysburg Address. Sometimes the dates of the two coincide, like they did this year, but if you've been to, or participated in them both regularly as I have, it helps to know that they are separate events. LeVar Burton was the keynote speaker at Dedication Day this year.

2016 SUV Ball T.JPG
The National Civil War Ball, the official ball of Remembrance Day, was held in the evening on November 19. Three hundred guests danced the night away to the music of the Philadelphia Brigade Band. Dancing was led by the Victorian Dance Ensemble, performing troupe of the Civil War Dance Foundation.

The best part of the event is that it raised several thousand dollars for preservation, bringing the total for the ball over the years to over $80,000 for preservation work at Gettysburg National Military Park.

Special thanks to all of you who joined us in “Dancing for Preservation.”

For more pictures of the ball and the Dedication Day ceremonies, visit our Facebook page at
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Civil-War-Dance-Foundation/164556213606774

Larry Keener-Farley
VDE-CWDF

2016 SUV Ball A.JPG

VDE dancers demonstrating a dance for guests

2016 SUV Ball I.JPG

Did anyone other than me - anyone at the Dedication Day ceremonies - notice that when the bugler played Taps, he faltered on the sixth note in exactly the same way that the bugler at JFK's funeral faltered on that note (or am I the only one who remembers that?)

Did anyone other than me - anyone at the Dedication Day ceremonies - notice that when the bugler played Taps, he faltered on the sixth note in exactly the same way that the bugler at JFK's funeral faltered on that note (or am I the only one who remembers that?)

The bugler at JFK's funeral cracked that one note, probably because he had been standing in the cold for hours. I was in the 6th grade when JFK was assassinated and my family watched the whole funeral on TV. We weren't that far away in Arlington, but my mother was sick so we couldn't attend.

Last edited:
I usually work the Dedication Day ceremonies, but I still tend to get the Dedication day/Remembrance Day terms mixed. I think it's because I associate cemeteries with remembrances, not dedications.

The fact that they sound so similar doesn't help. Because it's always on the 19th, Dedication Day usually falls during the week and it starts early, as you know, but it still draws a pretty large crowd. I fell in with the Color Guard from the 11th PA Fife and Drum Corps for a number of these events, and heard speakers like Richard Dreyfuss, Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia and others. Obama was supposed to come for the 150th, but he backed out.

In 2012, U.S. News & World Report published a Collector’s Edition titled “Secrets of the Civil War.” The photo on the cover is a Color Guard I was part of at the Gettysburg Dedication Day ceremony in 2009. This is when we were marching out after the ceremony. I’m behind the flag bearer. I didn't know they had published this and first saw it while standing in line at the supermarket!

Dedication Day picture 2009.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, Claude. I was about 50 feet to the bugler's left on Saturday at the end of the Dedication Day ceremonies, and he did miss that sixth note, but the video you embedded is not from the end of the Dedication Day ceremonies - maybe it's from the wreath laying (I'm going by the flags on the graves behind him in the photo - that's not where he was standing at the end of the Dedication Day ceremonies - those flags were at the other end of the cemetery).

Thanks, Claude. I was about 50 feet to the bugler's left on Saturday at the end of the Dedication Day ceremonies, and he did miss that sixth note, but the video you embedded is not from the end of the Dedication Day ceremonies - maybe it's from the wreath laying (I'm going by the flags on the graves behind him in the photo - that's not where he was standing at the end of the Dedication Day ceremonies - those flags were at the other end of the cemetery).

OK, I didn't know he played it twice. I grabbed that from his FB page and thought it was from the end of the ceremony. My mistake. That would explain it, then. Thanks.

Got that right about the weather. I was blowing all over Rt 15 with the tractor trailers on the way home to Maryland. Ran into snow and sleet on the way - and the morning had been like summer!
I have to say that must've been one heck of a ride that wind was blowing..

I have to say that must've been one heck of a ride that wind was blowing..

I worried about the tractor-trailers and got away from them as fast as safely possible. They were blowing all over the road. First place I went when I got home was to the bathroom!

A great parade, which ended about five minutes before the weather turned nasty. A few of the highlights:
  • The soldiers of a USCT regiment who sang "The Battle Cry of Freedom" as they marched
  • A bagpiper who accompanied one of the many regimental bands
  • Ladies riding sidesaddle
  • Three Lincoln presenters
  • Many women participating as civilians, soldiers, vivandieres or musicians
  • Many young reenactors of all ages, from elementary school age through to the 20s.
    It was wonderful to see the next generation of Civil War enthusiasts so well-represented.
  • Some fine displays of facial hair
Here are a few snapshots.

Ladies who supported the troops on the homefront or on campaign.

View attachment 115217

The youngest reenactor I saw looked to be about 5 years old.

View attachment 115218

Widows.
View attachment 115219

The soldiers of this Confederate regiment sported the most facial hair. I count nine in the front line.

View attachment 115221
Enter one of those in the contest.

http://civilwartalk.com/threads/mar...y-potm-accepting-entries.130084/#post-1490373

You too @cash

Back