Any record of underhammer long-guns used in the war?

S

SeaTurtle

It wasn't unheard of for guys to bring private-purchase firearms with them into the field, so I was just curious if there's any historical mentions of underhammer long-guns (even in a one-off instance) being used during the Civil War?

They were available during this period for those with the money. For example here's a (somewhat elaborately decorated) one that was made around 1840: https://www.ima-usa.com/products/or...fle-by-e-mansur-c-1840?variant=19400851521605

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that the Greene under hammer rifles were issued and used on a pretty limited basis. Civilian versions of under hammer bench rest guns I would think would have been pressed into service as sniper/sharpshooter rifles.

I believe that the Greene under hammer rifles were issued and used on a pretty limited basis.
I'm aware of the Greene (if we're talking about the same underhammer bolt-action rifle), but as far as I know they were never actually fielded during the war. Please correct me if I'm wrong though. I'd love to hear accounts of it being deployed.

Civilian versions of under hammer bench rest guns I would think would have been pressed into service as sniper/sharpshooter rifles.
I'm sure they could have ... do you know of any accounts of it happening? That's the kind of thing I'm looking for here.

Back