Any record of people eating turtles and armadillos?

Turtle was quite popular in Victorian times. As far as armadillo, I've never read an account of one being eaten by Civil War soldiers. They were common in Texas and the Southwest, but I don't know how far north and east they had spread by the 1860s. During the Great Depression they were commonly eaten by country folk and were known as "Hoover pig." I've eaten armadillo as a youngster at a country barbecue in Texas. It tasted like pork, but I don't recommend it. I read that it has to be cooked thoroughly to kill bacteria--they can carry leprosy.

Turtle was quite popular in Victorian times. As far as armadillo, I've never read an account of one being eaten by Civil War soldiers. They were common in Texas and the Southwest, but I don't know how far north and east they had spread by the 1860s. During the Great Depression they were commonly eaten by country folk and were known as "Hoover pig." I've eaten armadillo as a youngster at a country barbecue in Texas. It tasted like pork, but I don't recommend it. I read that it has to be cooked thoroughly to kill bacteria--they can carry leprosy.
I've heard that about Armadillos, I think you can also get Botulism.

Now all we need is a period turtle soup receipt. Oh I guess we need a receipt and a turtle. I wonder if the different species of turtle taste the same. One way to find out!

Well, I was going through Air Force ROTC while in college. After the Sophmore year, you were sent to a 4-week summer camp that initiated you to Air Force life and it came close to a "boot-camp" with basic training in marching and even qualification at the range. It included 3 days of Survival Training. They gave us C-Rations but also gave us tools to set traps and fish with gill nets. There was one rule: You had to eat what you caught.
One guy in our flight caught an old ground hog and he tried to cook it in his helmet.
My brother attended summer camp in Texas. One of guy in his flight trapped an armadillo and he cooked it. Not sure if anyone really ate it.

Back