Any new Civil War movies in the works?

This project is likely not going anywhere anytime soon. David Benioff and and D.B. Weiss have been selected by Disney to write and produce a new series of Star Wars films following the conclusion of Game of Thrones in 2019. This will likely take up all of their time, leaving the project dead in the water if not permanently abandoned.
https://deadline.com/2018/02/confed...mmitment-disneys-star-wars-movies-1202279608/
Fellow Southern Californian, so far concerning Confederate's status or might come to fruition if David Benioff and D.B. Weiss do complete the Star Wars movies they've been contracted to make and formally return to make Confederate TV show.

If not maybe some other Civil War AH like say Harry Turtledove's Southern Victory series could be adapted by HBO instead.

I always thought Ralph Peters' "Hell or Richmond" would make for a great miniseries about the Overland Campaign.

Has anyone heard of any new movies based on the Civil War in the works? I am not sure that the last few Civil War movies have made enough money to attract any major studios. What about a sequel or prequel to Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter? Young people are very interested in vampires so this kind of movie could entertain young adults as well as educate them about the Civil War.

In 2012 when Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter was released, the movie Lincoln by Steven Spielberg was also released. Both of the movies did well at the box office and Lincoln even won several awards. I enjoyed both movies especially AL: Vampire Hunter. In that movie, not only did Abe Lincoln save the Union but he also saved all of mankind from the bloodsucking creatures of the night.

Anyone think there is potential for a naval movie based on the Alabama or Shenandoah? It could be of the same genre as the WW II film, Under Ten Flags about the hilfskreuzer (auxiliary cruiser) Atlantis and its skipper, Bernhard Rogge (1/4 or half Jew on top of that). I don't know if the Confederacy had any black sailors, but the Union certainly did and one could be a petty officer which would be accurate (and make the SJWs happy).

For the Confederate side a lot of Irish and Englishmen would be needed for the Confederate crews.

Anyone think there is potential for a naval movie based on the Alabama or Shenandoah? It could be of the same genre as the WW II film, Under Ten Flags about the hilfskreuzer (auxiliary cruiser) Atlantis and its skipper, Bernhard Rogge (1/4 or half Jew on top of that). I don't know if the Confederacy had any black sailors, but the Union certainly did and one could be a petty officer which would be accurate (and make the SJWs happy).

For the Confederate side a lot of Irish and Englishmen would be needed for the Confederate crews.
Sounds good but would said movie make a profit?
As you know in the last 50 odd years quite a few ACW movies were financial flops.
You would need to hire a really good pitch person to convince movie executive's and investors that such a movie would be profitable. If I had to choose a chief executive producer the name Mel Gibson does come to mind. After all he made "Passion of the Christ " outside the conventional Hollywood network.
Leftyhunter

Sounds good but would said movie make a profit?
As you know in the last 50 odd years quite a few ACW movies were financial flops.
You would need to hire a really good pitch person to convince movie executive's and investors that such a movie would be profitable. If I had to choose a chief executive producer the name Mel Gibson does come to mind. After all he made "Passion of the Christ " outside the conventional Hollywood network.
Leftyhunter

Good question. Bottom line is profit. I wonder if CGI will make for cheaper ships? If it were to be made today, the story would have to be written around the "heroic" Kearsarge, its skipper and crew, chasing down those slave loving English and Irish mercenary Confederate pirates fighting for slavery (in today's PC/SJW slant) and plunder. I'd rather see honorable treatment on both sides like the aforementioned Under Ten Flags.

BTW, after 300 about Leonidas (Gawd but for anyone who has read Herodotus that was awful and its sequel even worse), I thought Xenephon's Anabasis (March of the 10,000) would be another good sword 'n sandal flick.

Good question. Bottom line is profit. I wonder if CGI will make for cheaper ships? If it were to be made today, the story would have to be written around the "heroic" Kearsarge, its skipper and crew, chasing down those slave loving English and Irish mercenary Confederate pirates fighting for slavery (in today's PC/SJW slant) and plunder. I'd rather see honorable treatment on both sides like the aforementioned Under Ten Flags.

BTW, after 300 about Leonidas (Gawd but for anyone who has read Herodotus that was awful and its sequel even worse), I thought Xenephon's Anabasis (March of the 10,000) would be another good sword 'n sandal flick.
You raise a good point or question but there may not be a good answer.
The first blockbuster or at least one of the first blockbusters was the 1915 movie " Birth of a Nation" also was shown under the age title "The Clans men". D.W. Griffith certainly did not take pains to show both sides as honorable; in fact far from it. Not sure how both sides in the ACW are honorable. Either slavery is good or it is bad it can't be both.
Not sure if it's possible to show both sides of the ACW has honorable. It is an interesting concept though.
Leftyhunter

Back to the topic of Civil War alternate history, HBO's Confederate is the only CWAH (possibly) coming into fruition and probably given the toxic politics/SJW and PC and current climate it received a lot of controversy but still as HBO president Casey Bloys noted the series is still in development and coulee resume if D.B. Weiss and David Benioff finish their commitments for the Star Wars films they're producing.

Other than that the only other CWAH series in development is Black America by Amazon Prime from the creators of The Boondocks.

If neither of these series come to fruition the other attempt to bring CWAH to the small screen was an adaptation of Harry Turtledove's Southern Victory by The Andrew Wyly Film Company in 2013 but never came to pass.

Honestly I would really love to see Southern Victory get an adaptation on say the aforementioned HBO, Showtime, Starz, Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Hulu.

I've got a question for the forum, there was a civil war T.V. series (I think T.V.) made in the late 1990s? It was pretty good remember watching it, but can't remember where....think it's called "1861? Is it available on DVD? Thanks for your answer and hope I can find out where to watch, download or buy the DVD.....

Civil War films do not usually do well at the box office, educational Civil War films do not sound much like box office blockbusters.

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned that the movie rights to Ron Chernow's Grant have been purchased. Hard telling if anything will come of this. If it's like Spielberg's Lincoln, only a tiny part of the book will be used--and it might not be during the Civil War. (Just speculating: maybe the Mexican War, starting with his romance with Julia and ending with their wedding, or his battle to finish his memoirs before his cancer killed him). Or, as I've suggested tongue-in-cheek previously, another rap musical.

The latter. They are made like direct to dvd movies. I tried one about the American Revolution and made it 10 minutes before quitting.
The question is ; In today's political -social environmenti is there any part of the war that would be rendered a honest view? The last one would be LINCOLN .It would be interesting as to how they would do a movie on the election of Lincoln and the time to the opening salvo at Sumter.

Back