Any new Civil War movies in the works?

Its not just the ACW thats unpopular. War as a subject pretty much flops. How many Vietnam War movies? Iraq war movies? Korean War movies? The exception, though is WWII.

Now fantasy war, that's a cow of a different color. Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, et al: big, big winners.

I am not sure Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies was a box office hit or not. I must have missed it when it first came out. Has anyone seen it? Perhaps I should wee if I can find it on Netflix and watch it.

I am not sure Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies was a box office hit or not. I must have missed it when it first came out. Has anyone seen it? Perhaps I should wee if I can find it on Netflix and watch it.

Thanks to the foreign market, Ab Lincoln Vampire Killer actually made money. With an estimated budget of $69 million, it pulled in $37 million domestic and $79 million foreign for a total of $116 million. To compare that to some Civil War based movies

Gods & Generals - $56 million budget - total return of $13 million worldwide
Ride With the Devil - $38 million budget - total return of just over $1/2 million worldwide
Glory had an estimated $18 million budget with a return of $26 million - winner
Gettysburg had an estimated $25 million budget with a return of $11 million
Free State of Jones - est $50 million budget with a return of $25 million

Dunkirk had a good year - $100 million est budget - $525 million return worldwide so far

dbbern is correct - World War Two movies have a much better ROI than Civil War era movies - unless Lincoln is in the title, with or without zombies. This kind of historical ROI does not bode well for potential Civil War movie producers - regretfully.

The movie Lincoln cost $65 million with a return of $275 million, although not really a Civil War movie

Boxofficemojo.com and imdb.com

Does this show that Lincoln, The Great Emancipator, is popular while the Civil War in general is not popular? I am not entirely sure that is completely historically accurate. It is possible that it is as accurate as many other movies. Still I am not sure if Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter will be shown in history classes anytime soon.

The same can be said with video games. WWII based games seem to do much better than other war games. The Call of Duty series made a modern version of their game, but eventually went back to WWII. Not entirely sure why, I have my guesses, but WWII is simply more popular.

Well you can watch the Union Army and the Confederate Army fight the Zombies in Ghost Brigade. You can also find the same movie named The Killing Box, also seen named Grey Knight, also named The Lost Brigade.

How many movies can you watch with four different names? You can see Martin Sheen and Billy Bob Thornton in the movie.

They did have an episode of Mysteries and Monsters in America about a couple seeing Zombie Civil War soldiers. The show was a little out there more than usual. It took place in Texas if I remember right. It's not the weirdest thing I have seen on TV lately.

Zack here is in the process of making one, that's new.
Thank you so much for the shout out! I just got back home from editing and clicked on here and was so excited to see this. A few BTS shots for y'all to enjoy:
20171104_013442.jpg

20171104_013307.jpg

20171105_010745.jpg

I had probably the best cinematographer I could have ever asked for.
20171105_010821.jpg

20171106_044629.jpg

This wonderful photo shows our sound person wiring up one of the actors.

Also @major bill I loved Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter for being exactly as ridiculous and stupid fun as the premise seemed. That said, my film is based off five years of research ; )

For more info: https://www.facebook.com/thewildernessfilm/

I will post the money for recent Civil War films:

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter $216 million.
Free State of Jones $25 million ( cost $50 million to make so lost $25 million).

Note to movie studios: Do a sequel to Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. No more Free State of Jones type movies.
While studio accounting is very complex the general formula is the cinema receives half the ticket sales the other half goes to the studio. Unless the cinema can sell over priced junk food it can't survive.
Most if not all big budget films require overseas sales or they flop.
The only recent Civil War film that appears,to have made a profit is Spielbergs "Lincoln". Cold Mountain made approximately 10 million over it's budget but that's not good enough.
Filmmakers can sell distribution rights to pay for view and various TV networks plus DVD sales and to Netflix.
If FEB cost 50 million to make and grossed 25 million in ticket sales then it's gross profit is closer to 12.5 million.
Overall making Civil War films is,a tough way to make money.
Leftyhunter

To add to your list: "Men Go To Battle" (2015)
What about " Birth of a Nation" D.W.Griffith 1915 Lost Cause classic. One of the most successful political propaganda films ever made. Also known has "the Klansmen" that move made a fortune and glorified the My Klux Klan

The NAACP hated it and due to their criticism D.W Griffith made a movie "Tolerance ".
Leftyhunter

To add to your list: "Men Go To Battle" (2015)
Where is the move " Glory" circa 1985 that brought fame to a young Denzel Washington? That was a popular movie and brought light to the USCT a subject Lost Causes a hate.
"Dark Command" 1940 staring John Wayne and "Tap Roots " loosely based on Newt Knight circa 1953.
Leftyhunter

Since the turn of the century there have only been 13 films that are about the Civil War or take place during it. Some of these are pretty bad, others are very low budget.

Gods and Generals
Cold Mountain
Free States of Jones
Field of Lost Shoes
The Conspirator
Lincoln
Gangs of New York
The Last Confederate
Wicked Spring
Copper Head
The Colt
Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter
Dog Jack
No my friend far more the 13 Civil War films have been made.
In addition to the ones I mentioned "The Horse Soldiers" 1959 staring the "Duke" and William Holden a major sex symbol back in the day just ask Grandma..
Let us hope the ghost of John Wayne does not get word of this thread.:cold:
Leftyhunter

No my friend far more the 13 Civil War films have been made.
In addition to the ones I mentioned "The Horse Soldiers" 1959 staring the "Duke" and William Holden a major sex symbol back in the day just ask Grandma..
Let us hope the ghost of John Wayne does not get word of this thread.:cold:
Leftyhunter
I thought only recent Civil War films were being discussed?

Back