Any Licensed Battlefield Guides here?

Is there any bar to setting up as an independent, free-lance guide, outside the LBG system?
When I was attending the National Fire Academy in Emmitsburg, I would take groups of firefighters over to the battlefield and give them an informal tour of the battlefield. Except for the occasional question by the Park Rangers about the caravan of Fire Department vehicles moving through the park, we never had any problems.

When I was attending the National Fire Academy in Emmitsburg, I would take groups of firefighters over to the battlefield and give them an informal tour of the battlefield. Except for the occasional question by the Park Rangers about the caravan of Fire Department vehicles moving through the park, we never had any problems.
One of my former employees went there for training and he said he and some fellow firefighters went for a ride and wound up near Camp David where they were stopped . Does that sound reasonable ?

One of my former employees went there for training and he said he and some fellow firefighters went for a ride an, ound up near Camp David where they were stopped . Does that sound reasonable ?
Yes, it certainly does; when you go up the road towards Camp David you are under surveillance, when you get within a mile you are stopped, turned around and attempt to go any further, you won't. The auxiliary/emergency helipad for Camp David is/was at the Fire Academy and we were strongly advised not to go to Camp David as even when it is not in use, it is still a very secure site and definitely not a tourist destination.

Last edited:
I'm not a licensed battlefield guide, but I did write the study guide that prospective guides used at Vicksburg to study for their test.

How many battlefields have a licensed guide program besides Gettysburg? This is the first I've heard of Vicksburg having one. The only other I've heard of before is Antietam.

How many battlefields have a licensed guide program besides Gettysburg? This is the first I've heard of Vicksburg having one. The only other I've heard of before is Antietam.
Vicksburg has had licensed battlefield guides since the 1950s - the Vicksburg National Military Park has information about them here: https://www.nps.gov/vick/getinvolved/supportyourpark/become-a-licensed-battlefield-guide.htm

There is also a Vicksburg Battlefield Guide Association - their website is here: http://www.vicksburgbga.com/aboutus.html

Back