SIM Game Any Good Civil War Strategy games?

CW Generals while perhaps not most realistic was my favorite as far as fun, playable, and replayability.

Had anyone ever done a modern conversion or do you still have to use emulator?

Grand Tactician is finally out of the beta stage, and while it's still pretty buggy sometimes, the AI is noticeably better and the level of detail is downright intimidating. I still think Scourge of War is by far the best for battles, but the potential of Grand Tactician is ridiculous. It's like no Civil War game I've ever seen before.

Many years ago one of my School friends who had relatives in the US sent an Avalon Hill game as a present and a few of us spent years playing AH and SPI games.

In the brave new world of computers are there any similar type of games that are actually straight forward, playable and available with a hard copy playing manual?
I stick to boardgames and there are many excellent Civil War simulations out there. I'm just setting up a new, very simple game on Antietam by White Dog Games--beautiful graphics. GMT games is reprinting their U.S. Civil War, which will remind you a great deal of the VG Civil War game, and they also have updated AH's For the People. MMP games continues to publish the Great Campaigns of the Civil War series begun by AH--including Sherman's Atlanta Campaign and Hood's Tennessee Campaign, as well as a series of regimental level treatments of battles. For a great system with interesting battles, check out the Blind Swords system mostly published by Revolution Games--they just published games on 1st Bull Run and Wilson's Creek. Boardgamegeek.com and Consimworld.com are great places to search for games--and the former has a marketplace feature where new and used games are sold.

I stick to boardgames and there are many excellent Civil War simulations out there. I'm just setting up a new, very simple game on Antietam by White Dog Games--beautiful graphics. GMT games is reprinting their U.S. Civil War, which will remind you a great deal of the VG Civil War game, and they also have updated AH's For the People. MMP games continues to publish the Great Campaigns of the Civil War series begun by AH--including Sherman's Atlanta Campaign and Hood's Tennessee Campaign, as well as a series of regimental level treatments of battles. For a great system with interesting battles, check out the Blind Swords system mostly published by Revolution Games--they just published games on 1st Bull Run and Wilson's Creek. Boardgamegeek.com and Consimworld.com are great places to search for games--and the former has a marketplace feature where new and used games are sold.

Welcome to CivilWarTalk and to this Games & Miniatures forum in particular. Please do let us know how you like White Dog's Antietam and your thoughts on any of the excellent games you listed - whether on the "play" or the "wish" list!

If someone could make a game like "Close Combat" for a PC or other platforms for the civil war, thatbwoukd be great. Strategy based but personal command of all units.

For a great system with interesting battles, check out the Blind Swords system mostly published by Revolution Games--they just published games on 1st Bull Run and Wilson's Creek.
Have you played Pea Ridge in the Blind Swords system? I scored a good deal on the game but every time I plan on playing it, life intervenes. Still unplayed. The map board is gorgeous. And Pea Ridge was one of the craziest battles of the whole war.

I still have my copy of AGEOD's Civil War II sitting on the shelf too.

It's an immense turned based PC game, play as the Union, Confederacy, and even it has theatres in Canada and Mexico.

Would be interesting to play as Jefferson Davis, no Cotton Diplomacy, Trent War breaks out with French Foreign Legionaries aiding me from Mexico!

Many years ago one of my School friends who had relatives in the US sent an Avalon Hill game as a present and a few of us spent years playing AH and SPI games.

In the brave new world of computers are there any similar type of games that are actually straight forward, playable and available with a hard copy playing manual?
Check out johntillersoftware.com

MMP also puts out the excellent Line of Battle series, which is a more manageable evolution of the regimental-level games based on the excellent Civil War Brigade Series by the Gamers (too bad that one didn't continue). LOB currently has a Wilderness game in the works. GMT's evolution of the Berg designs in their GBACW is also excellent - including the recent set of battles in the '62 and '64 Valley campaigns. More of those are due out soon as is the revamped game on Shiloh.

+1 for the Blind Swords system. In the last month, the First Bull Run and Wilson's Creek battles have been released and I am playing the First Bull Run one now solo. These have certainly set a new standard for tactical regimental level games in the genre. Currently on 2PM turn and the Union is finding really tough sledding getting up the northern slope at Henry Hill and the area around the Robinson Farm. Bee and Bartow's brigades have bloodied several brigades on the approaches. The Union troops in this battle are a far cry from the "shock" infantry effect of the Texas Brigade mid-late war.

+1 for the Blind Swords system. In the last month, the First Bull Run and Wilson's Creek battles have been released and I am playing the First Bull Run one now solo. These have certainly set a new standard for tactical regimental level games in the genre. Currently on 2PM turn and the Union is finding really tough sledding getting up the northern slope at Henry Hill and the area around the Robinson Farm. Bee and Bartow's brigades have bloodied several brigades on the approaches. The Union troops in this battle are a far cry from the "shock" infantry effect of the Texas Brigade mid-late war.
Good series, but I have one (very) minor criticism. The max ranges for "MX" batteries are the same as for "R" batteries. That makes no sense. If, say, half a battery's strength points are "S", why does it get the same max range for all its strength points that a battery whose entire strength is "R" gets? Seems like the max should be reduced a hex or so.

Full disclosure - I'm obsessed with field artillery and I doubt this issue has any real impact on how the series plays.

Last edited:
Back