Any firsthand accounts / memoirs from enlisted men in the CS Navy?

SeaTurtle

Private
A lot of the firsthand writings I've come across from Confederate naval personnel have been from officers. No surprise there, but if it exists I'd really like to read something that gives a look at what service was like for the non-commissioned sailors, anyone from a petty officer down to a landsman. Can anyone recommend something?

Mark F. Jenkins

Colonel
Member of the Year
Two that might serve are "Two Years Before the Paddlewheel: Charles F. Gunther, Mississippi River Confederate," though I think technically he was a warrant officer or equivalent-- IIRC he was a steamboat businessman that got scooped up by the Southern naval forces, not entirely voluntarily; and William Marvel's "The Alabama and the Kearsarge: The Sailor's Civil War," which draws to an extent on sailors' stories, North and South.

Accounts from enlisted personnel are rare enough from the much-larger Union Navy... no real surprise that it's tough to find something from the Confederate side. I'll look over what I have to see if there's anything else.

Mark F. Jenkins

Colonel
Member of the Year
Caution: I have not read any of the following, but they might be similar to what you are looking for.
  • Bennett, William E. (pseud. Warren Armstrong). Cruise of a Corsair.
  • Campbell, R. Thomas. Voices of the Confederate Navy: Articles, Letters, Reports and Reminiscences.
  • Dawson, Francis W. Reminiscences of Confederate Service, 1861-1865.
  • Graves, Henry Lea and Harwell, Richard B. (ed.). Confederate Marine, A: A Sketch of Henry Lea Graves.
  • Watson, Robert and Campbell, R. Thomas (ed.). Southern Service on Land & Sea: The Wartime Journal of Robert Watson, CSA/CSN.