Any experience with Le Pierre Leathers/Sutler?

Harmon Neef

Private
While I was looking for an item for my kit, I came across this sutler which I had never heard of.

Does anybody have any experience with them or know if they are any good (not mainstream stuff that I would need to upgrade at some point)? It sounds like some of the items are copies from originals he has, which I take as a good sign, but on some of the items the prices are giving me pause as seemingly a bit too low. I probably will stay away out of an abundance of caution but figured I would check if anybody has some actual experience with them.

I've never bought anything from him, but looking at his photos I would assume his motto is "Why do 8-10 stitches per inch when 4 will hold?"

Spend the extra money and buy a set from Missouri Boot & Shoe, LD Hanning, Cary Davisson, Brian Merrick, or Robert Saye. There are usually some pieces from those makers floating around on various Facebook trade blankets.

Agree with Grayrock you get what you pay for. All the folks he mentioned make a superior product. All my leather is from LD Hanning and considering the high quality I think the price point is very reasonable.

I've gotten some stuff from him along the lines of Spanish colonial North America and Texas Revolution/ Jacksonian periods and been well satisfied. His shipment times are quick, and he's amenable to modifications. For instance, in my 1836 New Orleans Gray impression, I wanted a War of 1812 knapsack, but the blue color of the L'Herbette-type pack. Boom. Done. His cartridge box I had him make for me lacked the inner flap and side-pieces, but best believe there were very, very many cartridge boxes done that way, particularly for militia. Unlike some previous 1808 cartridge boxes with the side panels and inner flaps, his wooden block actually holds real .69 caliber paper cartridges, while the more expensive box only holds blank cartridges, i.e. only for display and salutes, not the real deal dummy cartridges, which I use to show interlocutors at events, or even use real cartridges when firing smooth-bore at my range. I asked him to make me a particular style of belt to hold a bayonet and sword scabbard, and he put it together for me.

Some of his items strike me as a bit curious, but there are clear photos of stuff. Most things are reasonably priced, others not so much.

Back