Any English teachers out there?

gggfJulius

Private
I hope this is the correct forum. A newspaper article is a 'record', no?
Below is a clipping retrieved from Newspapers.com. It is from the Chicago Tribune, April 14, 1862, page 1. I didn't clip the entire article, only the portion in question. I am confused by the last sentence of the article (second image) "We may state here that this battery did not go into battle on the following day". The author of the article mentions 3 batteries in the preceding paragraphs, but I haven't a clue as to which battery is being referenced in this sentence. Perhaps someone can diagram the sentence for me? Draw a road map of the article? Translate from 19th century English to 21st century English?? Is it so obvious that I'm just missing it? <-- wouldn't be surprising at all. :confused:
I must say, however, going through these articles is very fascinating.

Thank you.

Reporting of Battle  (1).jpg

Reporting of Battle .jpg

@treebie2000 and @Bob Velke
Thank you.
My focus is Waterhouse's Battery. I know their captain was wounded in battle, and they were eventually compelled to fall back leaving at least half of their guns, (I've read a few differing figures) but I haven't been able to pick up their trail at Shiloh since, so I thought the writer could have been referring to Waterhouse. It seemed very early in the battle to just call it a day.

Back