Any book suggestions or the Battle of Antietam

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
I am giving some thought of going to the CivilWarTalk Muster this fall so today I drove to a fairly large used book store that has a fairly good section of Civil War books to see if I could find a book about the Battle of Antietam. If I decide to go I could study up about the battle. The bad new is that they only had one book on the battle and I already have the book. The good news is I some how found other books that intersted me. So if I drive all the way to the huge John King used book store in down town Detroit, what Battle of Antietam books should I look for? John King used book store has over one million used books to include a couple of thousand about the Civil War so they might have any you suggest.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
I still am not sure I want to go to the Antietam muster. Perhaps if I read a book about the battle it will encourage me to go.

Joshism

2nd Lieutenant
I realized Sears' book is almost 40 years old. Antietam is really due for a new single-volume treatment.

I'm reluctant to read either version of Carmen's work simply because it's over a century old. How much editing did Pierro and Clemens do on their single-volume and three-volume versions?

Bruce Vail

1st Lieutenant
I realized Sears' book is almost 40 years old. Antietam is really due for a new single-volume treatment.

I'm reluctant to read either version of Carmen's work simply because it's over a century old. How much editing did Pierro and Clemens do on their single-volume and three-volume versions?

Clemens version is great. I can't answer "how much" editing he did, but I never had a sense the book was outdated at all.

Jamieva

Captain
Forum Host

But is it? Can someone do better than what Sears did? I have my doubts

James N.

Colonel
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
I'll still recommend James V. Murfin's Gleam Of Bayonets.