Antietam on the Web, very detailed and informative

Looking at the Antietam battle maps always makes my head spin. Shiloh's a bit easier on the eyes - day 1, South to North, push - push - push. Day 2, North to South, push - push - push. The end.

Not Antietam.

Oh God,how I love Antietam.I think that the hills and Dales there,caused a lot of front changes.Just having been there,and done a coupla the walking trails,I really noticed this on this visit.It seems as if there was no real clear field of vision that encompassed the whole battlefield.Geeeze,what a beautiful place,which makes it all the more heart-wrenching,what happened there.Anyway,those maps seem pretty tough to read for any layman.They have to be for more advanced study.I would never present them as an introduction,hehe.I clicked on APHills attack and the first thing that caught my eye was the glaring emptiness of where Sykes V corps should have been.There is a web forum dedicated to Antietam,but the name escapes me,if someone could help.I have been there,before,but was a long time ago,and would like to return.

We just returned from a living history of the aftermath of the Antietam battle and my studies of it were finally more complete than during my previous visits. What a pleasure to finally begin to understand the battle. It does get complicated though- repeated advances, flanks and multiple directions... but super learning. A great study for battlefield tactics though.

Back