Antietam National Battlefield to Improve Over Next Decade

Personally I'm not sure this sounds like a good thing. The "new visitor center" for example - there's nothing wrong with the current one and this could actually be an excuse to reduce the size of exhibit space to make it easier to get visitors in and out quicker. Also, there's been a trend to reduce the number of driving tour stops at some battlefields for much the same reason. The only improvement I see that appears logical is the trail expansion and that will no doubt affect few visitors other than relative locals who would have the time to take advantage of them.

Antietam has a great network of trails. Download the walking tour through Civil War Trails to your phone and go for a walk....

I'd sure love to see Nicodemus Heights become part of the park. It's a shame it isn't.

Back in the 90's the Piper House was a B&B. I stayed there with my son once and it was a fantastic experience to be able to wake up and walk out the door into the dawn mist at the Sunken Road. It would be wonderful if it was available as a B&B again, imho.

I hate to see a new visitors center. I remember when they added to the current one in the 80's. It often seems something is lost when changes are made, like the current Gettysburg visitors center. I liked the old one better.

I hate to see a new visitors center. I remember when they added to the current one in the 80's. It often seems something is lost when changes are made, like the current Gettysburg visitors center. I liked the old one better.

The article is unclear to me. Is there to be a new visitors center, or is there to be a renovation of the existing center?

The "new visitor center" for example - there's nothing wrong with the current one and this could actually be an excuse to reduce the size of exhibit space to make it easier to get visitors in and out quicker.

I was really underwhelmed by the Visitor Center at Antietam, but I visited it the day after I visited Gettysburg's Visitor Center which is the yardstick by which I measure all other Civil War museums (few come close).

I was really underwhelmed by the Visitor Center at Antietam, but I visited it the day after I visited Gettysburg's Visitor Center which is the yardstick by which I measure all other Civil War museums (few come close).

I would opine that like almost everything else associated with Gettysburg other than the battlefield itself the new visitor center is an overdone monstrosity. Not monstrous as in evil, but as overblown and too large - it requires most of a day to do it justice, time I'd rather spend on the field. For practical purposes, the Centennial-era 1963 Cyclorama Center was probably the best - even after the NPS moved into the former National Museum it was still a bit overwhelming and time-consuming. The "new" one is indeed impressive but somehow I think I preferred the older ones too.

I would opine that like almost everything else associated with Gettysburg other than the battlefield itself the new visitor center is an overdone monstrosity. Not monstrous as in evil, but as overblown and too large - it requires most of a day to do it justice, time I'd rather spend on the field. For practical purposes, the Centennial-era 1963 Cyclorama Center was probably the best - even after the NPS moved into the former National Museum it was still a bit overwhelming and time-consuming. The "new" one is indeed impressive but somehow I think I preferred the older ones too.

Well put James N.

I saw nothing in the article indicating a new Visitor's Center was being considered. They even mentioned that the planned loop trail would begin and end at what I presume is the existing building. IMO the park staff is doing an excellent job at maintaining and restoring the Antietam Battlefield.

I saw nothing in the article indicating a new Visitor's Center was being considered. They even mentioned that the planned loop trail would begin and end at what I presume is the existing building. IMO the park staff is doing an excellent job at maintaining and restoring the Antietam Battlefield.

... Meanwhile, the construction of a new visitors center takes priority, Snyder said. Construction is set to start in 2020.

“This will be a complete renovation,” he said.

The last three grafs of the article:

"The battlefield has doubled in size since the plan was completed in 1992.

Meanwhile, the construction of a new visitors center takes priority, Snyder said. Construction is set to start in 2020.

“This will be a complete renovation,” he said."

Seems to be a case of sloppy editing. If the NPS was really planning a new visitors center to begin construction tow years, that would be lede of the story, no? And why would the discussion of the new center be at the end of the story?

Back