Antietam Muster Sunday Morning Surprise - Douglas Bast Museum

NH Civil War Gal

Captain
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
First, I’m still in Maryland and will update the Official Itinerary when I get home, over the weekend.

However, I just couldn’t wait to share this news. I literally just got the go ahead on this.

@Stone in the wall and I met with the Board of Directors of the Douglas G. Bast Boonsborough Museum on Friday. They’ve been closed for over a year due to Covid and Mr. Bast’s ill health. He died this past March and they have just reopened and are trying to figure their way forward.

They sent me an email a few minutes ago saying, “they would most gladly” open for us exclusively on Sunday morning for our Muster!

You can Google the this museum. It is a TREASURE TROVE of Civil War Artifacts with labels, including the box they transported poor General Reno’s body around, and the slice of the tree he died under.

It has one of the largest known collections in the United States of carved bullets - most of them in very well done, in shapes of roses and other elaborate shapes.

No promises but they are going to try to have some artifacts we can actually handle if we wear cotton gloves. I asked and they will see what they can do. They have many rifles, pikes, bayonets, cannons galore.

They have rare day books from plantations local to Virginia and Maryland.

They also have a medical section of the Civil War.

If you aren’t excited to go to the Douglas G. Bast Museum, I don’t know what will get you perked up!

They are doing this for FREE for us. I’m personally planning on making a donation to them to help keep this museum going and I hope others will too.

First, I’m still in Maryland and will update the Official Itinerary when I get home, over the weekend.

However, I just couldn’t wait to share this news. I literally just got the go ahead on this.

@Stone in the wall and I met with the Board of Directors of the Douglas G. Bast Boonsborough Museum on Friday. They’ve been closed for over a year due to Covid and Mr. Bast’s ill health. He died this past March and they have just reopened and are trying to figure their way forward.

They sent me an email a few minutes ago saying, “they would most gladly” open for us exclusively on Sunday morning for our Muster!

You can Google the this museum. It is a TREASURE TROVE of Civil War Artifacts with labels, including the box they transported poor General Reno’s body around, and the slice of the tree he died under.

It has one of the largest known collections in the United States of carved bullets - most of them in very well done, in shapes of roses and other elaborate shapes.

No promises but they are going to try to have some artifacts we can actually handle if we wear cotton gloves. I asked and they will see what they can do. They have many rifles, pikes, bayonets, cannons galore.

If you aren’t excited to go to the Douglas G. Bast Museum, I don’t know what will get you perked up!

They are doing this for FREE for us. I’m personally planning on making a donation to them to help keep this museum going and I hope others will too.
When we got there the museum was closed and we were lucky enough on that day that the people who run it were doing book work and had just locked the doors. They were extra kind,

and let us in for a short time. There is a large display of Henry Kyd Douglas items, and loads of loads of other Civil War stuff. And there is another whole building that we haven't looked at yet.

a
d
s

rare

Civil War There is so much there they can't even display all of it. I'm thinking we will be into the "mother load" that is also in storage in another building.

For those who want a seek peek!
dgb-boonsboro-museum.com/Photo-Tour.php
We were in and out pretty fast. But I do remember seeing the piece of fence from Bloody Lane, and the belt buckle and I'm pretty sure it still had the bullet embedded in it! I cant believe it's only 25 miles from here, or how many times I must have driven right past it in the past.

Thank you a

They are doing this for FREE for us. I’m personally planning on making a donation to them to help keep this museum going and I hope othe

Back