Antietam Muster Side-Trip(s) - Thursday Early Arrivals

Is there a Visitor Center or gift shop or such along the Thursday route where a person could buy a good Civil War themed cap to wear for the rest of the Muster?
The only places with Visitor Centers we will be near and stop are Gapland State Park in Crampton's Gap and Washington Monument S.P., both units of the Maryland Parks System. I've never been inside the latter and if I was at the former remember NOTHING about it or whether or not there's a gift shop.

Is there a Visitor Center or gift shop or such along the Thursday route where a person could buy a good Civil War themed cap to wear for the rest of the Muster?
I can hit sutlers row this coming weekend at the N-SSA Nationals. What would you like me to look for?

Also, if there's any problem about reservation TIME we might adjust that as well. I know Bobby wants to go to Hagerstown to visit the cemetery there and have no complaints about making that a definite destination. (The fellow at SMI said it's only a fifteen or twenty minute drive from Hagerstown.) That would mean driving back to Charlestown later but it will likely already be dark by then either way.
I don't want that to hang up any group plans. I can make a fast run up there late Sunday or very early Monday morning if necessary. It seems that's kinda far off of our group path. I am already debating on a cemetery stop at Mount Olivet Cemetery in Frederick on the way to Charles Town from BWI on Wednesday afternoon anyway.

a good Civil War themed cap to wear for the rest of the Muster?
You borrow one of mine.

Im looking for one that was worn by the 17th Mississippi Regiment.
I would look really sharp in this.
1B0F4719-A871-41AC-9BCE-7939B2F2BC11.jpeg

Oh yes! A side trip right there in our backyard in Charles Town. Many veterans. Lots of civilian gravestones with military inscriptions and Southern Crosses of Honor. I am gonna scroll through the FindAGrave page later and edit this post to include the number of Civil War burials I find there. It's gonna be a big number.

https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/684861/zion-episcopal-churchyard

Spent a good part of the afternoon researching Zion Episcopal Churchyard Cemetery in Charles Town. Found at least 82 Civil War veterans there and some other historic persons. Made a list and bringing it with me.

I don't want that to hang up any group plans. I can make a fast run up there late Sunday or very early Monday morning if necessary. It seems that's kinda far off of our group path. I am already debating on a cemetery stop at Mount Olivet Cemetery in Frederick on the way to Charles Town from BWI on Wednesday afternoon anyway.
Since I've received no replies to my query as to number attending I went ahead and made dinner reservations at South Mountain Inn for eight at 5:30 PM - I think that should give us enough time to make the trip to Hagerstown, especially as they had said if we were a little late it should be no problem. He said a group that size would be put in the atrium and that it doesn't get completely dark this time of year until 7 PM or so.

Last edited:
Since I've received no replies to my query as to number attending I went ahead and made dinner reservations at South Mountain Inn for eight at 5:30 PM - I think that should give us enough time to make the trip to Boonsboro, especially as they had said if we were a little late it should be no problem. He said a group that size would be put in the atrium and that it doesn't get completely dark this time of year until 7 PM or so.
I was talking about the cemetery stop in Hagerstown. If I'm the only one wanting to do that, I can find some other time for a run up there.

I was talking about the cemetery stop in Hagerstown. If I'm the only one wanting to do that, I can find some other time for a run up there.
Me too - and I've corrected the post.:D

Oh, when I saw my name in the list, I didn’t realize I was supposed to say anything. I’m attending!
I only wanted to verify that eight was the correct number - for example, I don't know if everyone wants to join us there, or if anyone's bringing a "significant other" or any "extra" person, etc. At any rate, it's already made for eight and if in the final analysis that's not correct it can always be changed!

I only wanted to verify that eight was the correct number - for example, I don't know if everyone wants to join us there, or if anyone's bringing a "significant other" or any "extra" person, etc. At any rate, it's already made for eight and if in the final analysis that's not correct it can always be changed!
My husband is coming too. So count me twice for dinner Thursday night

IDK if my sister and my niece will be with us for the dinner Thu night? Paging @Diane123

Looks like it's up to 12 now.

Back