Antietam Lone Grave

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
This is another photo you just don't know- is it listed correctly, and has it been listed elsewhere as something else? I've found even from the Library of Congress, when they have 'Brady' or 'O'Sullivan' correctly, sometimes the identifiying blurb is blank or you see it elsewhere corrected by someone. If this is correct, and it is indeed a lone grave at Antietam- gosh, how haunting.

Civil War antietam lone grave.jpg

This is another photo you just don't know- is it listed correctly, and has it been listed elsewhere as something else? I've found even from the Library of Congress, when they have 'Brady' or 'O'Sullivan' correctly, sometimes the identifiying blurb is blank or you see it elsewhere corrected by someone. If this is correct, and it is indeed a lone grave at Antietam- gosh, how haunting.

View attachment 8035
William Frassanito used it on the cover of his classic book "Antietam: The Photographic Legacy of America's Bloodiest Day". Private John Marshall at age 50 was one of the oldest men in the 28th Pennsylvania Regiment and had immigrated from Ireland. Frassanito covers his bio in some detail in his book.

antietam.jpg

Last edited:
51BO8AdJfsL.jpg

It's also featured on the cover of the Time-Life Voices of the Civil War volume Antietam, which I recently ordered and received from Amazon.

This is one of the set taken by Alexander Gardner and assistant James Gibson (hired by Mathew Brady) a couple days after the battle.

Back