GRAPHIC Antietam Confederate Victim - Shot and dragged himself to a ravine

Zuzah

Sergeant Major
Off topic quickly - I'll be on a small hiatus soon as I'll be setting up my new computer, I'm also going on vacation on the 21st of July (I'll be in Italy for the 23rd - my birthday!), and I'll be back the 28th. Meanwhile I hope you enjoy.

Expired Image Removed

Only on a CW site like this could you post a pic like the one above and say, "Enjoy!" (But I did--this is a great pic, Zuzah! Enjoy Italy and Happy Birthday!!)

Only on a CW site like this could you post a pic like the one above and say, "Enjoy!" (But I did--this is a great pic, Zuzah! Enjoy Italy and Happy Birthday!!)
I didn't think that one through - lol. Thanks, being 18 will be hard. I'll be liable to be punished for my actions now. :frown:

Great Job. Enjoy Italy, I just left there after 4.5 years of living.
I'm going to sweat like a bastard. It's "cold" right now in Denmark and going over to 35~ degrees especially when attempting to sleep is gonna be fun.

Again, thanks for the compliments everyone - try not to miss me too much. :tongue:

I am not familiar with violent wounds and injuries. Can anyone tell what sort of trauma befell him? Dear heavens, he looks so young!

I am not familiar with violent wounds and injuries. Can anyone tell what sort of trauma befell him? Dear heavens, he looks so young!
It appears he suffered a head wound on his nose and he tried to bandage it up. Although knowing the Minie Ball or the Springfield Repeater it would appear it was shot elsewhere and was simply bleeding while dragging himself.

interesting side burn!

Almost looks like his hand is trying to plug up the hole.

leg look interesting. first look it appeared weirdly bent but that appears to be a hat or some such cloth

The blood running down to his hairline is coming from his eye. Looks like he took a ball near his nose. Was probably dead before he hit the ground.

The blood running down to his hairline is coming from his eye. Looks like he took a ball near his nose. Was probably dead before he hit the ground.
That's what I was thinking. But it looks as if - and it's stated in the caption ' that he dragged himself a short distance before dying.

That's what I was thinking. But it looks as if - and it's stated in the caption ' that he dragged himself a short distance before dying.
Could be the photographer dragged him to where the background would be better.

I'm wondering if he didn't suffer a chest wound that would cause bleeding from the nose or mouth (a lung wound, for example). With his head slightly thrown back some blood might have run up rather than down.

If this seems out there, in my defense, I am looking at this picture on my phone. :D

R

Back