Antietam 2021 Muster: After-Action Reports

I made it home with the help of a Christian who gave me a lift to the airport when the train didnt run.
The next day I went to dentist to check out the pain in my 🦷.
So this morning I’m in the dentist chair to get a root canal.
I hope you didn't hear banjo music on that trip which caused the tooth problem.:bounce:

I'm guessing you can see why I chose to live where I do...?! 😍 It really is beautiful, year round.
Absolutely!!! I can certainly see why you say your next move will be to the cemetery. I wouldn't move either!!! I actually had Jody considering relocating.... and you know how much he loves it here... with the best (and best kept secret) bass fishery right in the backyard.
You should see it when it's covered in snow...!
We actually talked about what it would look like covered in a blanket of snow. A couple of times. :laugh:
Maybe next time y'all come through :cool: There's a pond next door full of Bass too :wink:
YES! I'd love to see the church and the cemetery and you know Jody would be honored to wet a hook in that pond. :biggrin:

Absolutely!!! I can certainly see why you say your next move will be to the cemetery. I wouldn't move either!!! I actually had Jody considering relocating.... and you know how much he loves it here... with the best (and best kept secret) bass fishery right in the backyard.

We actually talked about what it would look like covered in a blanket of snow. A couple of times. :laugh:

YES! I'd love to see the church and the cemetery and you know Jody would be honored to wet a hook in that pond. :biggrin:
Same spot in the summer:

_nc_ohc=VS0ZQHG_3WcAX_mdtzx&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-2.jpg

Here's a pic I took in the fall from the same spot a few years ago...

X-fCpC5&tn=IpQ73lkTst0kKyEd&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-2.jpg

Here's a cool pic from down close:

X_thu0V&tn=IpQ73lkTst0kKyEd&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-2.jpg

We finally made it home about 2 hours ago. :bounce:

Monday afternoon, we stopped back in Lexington and I posted some pics above of VMI and Stonewall Cemetery. We wound up spending the night at Lexington. Those of you who were at dinner Saturday night of the Muster knew I had something special to drop off :wink: So we met @Viper21 and his son for breakfast Tuesday morning to accomplish that little delivery. :biggrin:

Afterwards, we went to check out some of the places they recommended we see. Jordan's Point on the Maury River where Stonewall Jackson's body was delivered and unloaded. The river was much higher back then.
View attachment 418231

View attachment 418232

And the heights across the Maury River overlooking the town of Lexington where Union General David Hunter positioned his artillery to shell VMI, Washington College, and the entire town of Lexington in 1864.

View attachment 418233

Next we headed out the Maury River Road past the Virginia Horse Center where we found some of the most beautiful scenery I've ever witnessed. Keep in mind, I've been to Colorado and seen the Rocky Mountains. I've been to Yellowstone and The Great Smoky Mountains. I've toured rural North Carolina and the mountains of North Georgia. But for sheer beauty, those places don't even hold a candle to Rockbridge Baths and Goshen Pass. ❤️ It is absolutely beautiful!
View attachment 418234

View attachment 418235

These pictures don't really do it justice. Take my word for it.... AMAZING!
View attachment 418236
After that we drove to Kodak TN where we ate dinner and then drove on to Lenoir City, TN where we spent the night last night. Drove the rest of the way home today, with a quick stop at Chickamauga and lunch at Bea's Restaurant a little family owned place in Rossville that @Norman Dasinger Jr introduced us to years ago. And now we are at home... unpacking and doing laundry.
Weyland’s Stonewall Jackson’s Way has photos around 100 years old of Golden Pass that duplicate the same wild beauty.

After my previous two CWT Musters, I had grand expectations to learn more great history. I also had ancestors who fought in this area which gave me a personal reason to attend the Antietam Muster. However, I felt like cancelling when the bad weather reports started appearing--- I'm so glad I didn't.

@NH Civil War Gal did a fantastic job of organizing the Muster. I know she had others who helped but I'm not sure of their roles but I want to thank them. James N. did a magnificent job at Harpers Ferry and the battlefield. Our guide, Justin, went far and beyond what I expected. After the last Muster, I saw the behind-the-scenes work that was required. I was glad to sit back and be a participant and not a go-fer. I want to thank @Stone in the wall for his input on my travel plans.
The Hampton Inn did a great job. After departing home at 3:30am, I was dead tired that first night and slept 9 hours and 40 minutes straight. I don't do that in my own bed. Their breakfast and coffee was all that I needed for a kick start.
I have to thank @Rick Featherston for chauffeuring me around. Someone described him as "quiet" but I think he is still learning how to post on his iPhone. @ErnieMac was our navigator, however I was constantly bombarding him with questions about regiments and brigades and generals that he couldn't do his job. He is another one who seems quiet but just ask him and he will have an answer.
I met so many "new guys" and new acquaintances. The local guys contributed immensely to the presentations. Enjoyed a nice lunch with @Kathy the history sleuth. I tried to find time to chat with as many as possible: @PBRegiment @Package4 @Michael W. @JFW22 and the one with the alias "Pat Sullivan".

And I can't forget to thank @rebel brit for the work he did to make the Fridge Magnets. I still have mine stuck to my Italian helmet but it's gotten too crowded. I hope every attendee appreciates the souvenir as I do.

Besides my problems with my feet, I was having some toothaches. By Sunday, I was restricted to chewing on one side. Well, I went immediately to the Dentist the morning after I got home. Today, they removed a crown and performed a root canal. I guess I was another casualty of the Battle of Antietam. If my Great-Uncle William Guest of 17th​ Mississippi Regiment could survive a wound, then I can bear this minor "wound".

3 Hours in the Chair
First time having a female dentist. She did let me wear my hat.
View attachment 418265

PS: I ordered two pair of cargo pants so I could really look like @bdtex twin. They arrived the day I came home.
It was a pleasure to meet you too, sir. Thank you again for the Centennial CW glasses, & I hope you feel better in short order!

Stop number two along the route was Southern Kitchen, New Market, Va. Its an old school diner with southern fried chicken and home made meringue pies. One of our favorite places to eat.

Now we are on the parade ground at VMI watching afternoon drill. We were certainly shocked and taken aback by the "New color" of the buildings.
View attachment 417672
View attachment 417677
The unusual color was the first thing we noticed. Wow!
I was in New Market the other day. I loved the Southern Kitchen.

Still at Lexington VA. Stonewall Cemetery the original Jackson family plot
View attachment 417752
And the Jackson monument in the center
View attachment 417753

And Colonel Gilham's grave exhibiting a newly refurbished and painted Southern Cross of Honor. Every SCH in the cemetery has been refurbished and repainted. @Viper21
View attachment 417757

Here's the marquis on the street extolling the "NEW" name. "Stonewall Cemetery" is no longer on the sign. :nah disagree:
View attachment 417759
I was at Oak Grove last night. I'll post pictures when I have better internet.

I just saw this thread this morning and am enjoying it. Monday was kinda hectic after I rolled out of Charles Town and I hit the ground running when I touched down in Houston very early on Tuesday. I haven't had a chance to look at all my pictures on my desktop monitor yet. Kinda hard to process everything physically and mentally from our trip right now. Still on sensory overload I think. My Fed-Ex package with my books and a lot of the brochures and maps should come today. I plan to spend part of the weekend sorting through everything.

I have been enjoying the offshoot threads members have started already on various topics. I have 2-3 in mind but it may take a few days to get to them and do them right.

I just saw this thread this morning and am enjoying it. Monday was kinda hectic after I rolled out of Charles Town and I hit the ground running when I touched down in Houston very early on Tuesday. I haven't had a chance to look at all my pictures on my desktop monitor yet. Kinda hard to process everything physically and mentally from our trip right now. Still on sensory overload I think. My Fed-Ex package with my books and a lot of the brochures and maps should come today. I plan to spend part of the weekend sorting through everything.

I have been enjoying the offshoot threads members have started already on various topics. I have 2-3 in mind but it may take a few days to get to them and do them right.
Same here. I need to see the photos on my home monitor.

Still been busy since my return home and not much to offer in this thread yet. I think this qualifies though. Sunday evening, me and some of the fellas walked over to IHop for dinner and the next morning those of us still at the hotel assembled for the complimentary breakfast. During one of those dining events, James N. asked me if there was anything I had wanted to do during the Muster that I didn't get to do. There was only one thing and I related that to James. I had wanted to and expected that we would go up on Loudon Heights while we were at Harpers Ferry. After being there all day Friday, I knew we simply didn't have time for that. James said there wasn't/isn't much up there and there wasn't a lot of action there during the Maryland Campaign. The latter I knew, the former I didn't. The reasons I had hoped to and still hope to go up there aren't specifically Maryland Campaign related. There were/are 2 reasons: 1) I have seen pictures posted here in CWT of the town of Harpers Ferry and the railroad bridge that I assume were taken from Loudon Heights. The view looked beautiful. 2) There is a John Paul Strain print of Col. Thomas J. Jackson reconnoitering Harpers Ferry from Loudon Heights in 1861 that I really like. I don't have it but I like it. Can't post the image because of copyright laws but I can post a link:

1) I have seen pictures posted here in CWT of the town of Harpers Ferry and the railroad bridge that I assume were taken from Loudon Heights. The view looked beautiful.
It really is a spectacular view but you need about half a day to get there and back again. The NPS labed this a difficult hike which I can fully attest to. There are two view spots before the Split Rock (the end of the trail) but they were overgrown when I hiked it so the only viable option was the very end to see anything of Harpers Ferry at all. But the view you get when you make it to the end is definitely worth all the hard labor. If I ever get back to Harpers Ferry I'm actually considering hiking Loudoun Heights again.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you'll be able to cross it off your bucket list when you come to Harpers Ferry the next time, Bobby. :smile:

1) I have seen pictures posted here in CWT of the town of Harpers Ferry and the railroad bridge that I assume were taken from Loudon Heights. The view looked beautiful. 2) There is a John Paul Strain print of Col. Thomas J. Jackson reconnoitering Harpers Ferry from Loudon Heights in 1861 that I really like. I don't have it but I like it. Can't post the image because of copyright laws but I can post a link:

Interesting. I've always assumed that the Harper's Ferry views were taken from Maryland Heights.

Back