Antietam 2021 Muster: After-Action Reports

And Colonel Gilham's grave exhibiting a newly refurbished and painted Southern Cross of Honor. Every SCH in the cemetery has been refurbished and repainted. @Viper21
View attachment 417757

Here's the marquis on the street extolling the "NEW" name. "Stonewall Cemetery" is no longer on the sign. :nah disagree:
View attachment 417759
Most of the SCH's have been repainted. There's still some that need it. However, I just happen to know some fine folks who are going to be there this Saturday, finishing that project up. By Saturday afternoon, they will all be freshly painted. As will many of the tombstones be cleaned.

For those that don't know, the ones that have been painted gray, are for veterans who served in the war. The ones painted black, are for veterans who died in the war.

However, I just happen to know some fine folks who are going to be there this Saturday, finishing that project up. By Saturday afternoon, they will all be freshly painted. As will many of the tombstones be cleaned.
Thats fantastic!!! The ones that are already freshly painted look great! 👌

Stop number two along the route was Southern Kitchen, New Market, Va. Its an old school diner with southern fried chicken and home made meringue pies. One of our favorite places to eat.

Now we are on the parade ground at VMI watching afternoon drill. We were certainly shocked and taken aback by the "New color" of the buildings.
View attachment 417672
View attachment 417677
The unusual color was the first thing we noticed. Wow!
And no Jackson statue out front? 🥲 it’s just not the same!

On the way to Charlestown on Wednesday we stopped at Cracker Barrel in Staunton to have lunch with @Rebforever @Viper21 , and Viper's middle son. I had met @Viper21 and @Rebforever before and it was great to see them again! After lunch, we made a quick trip out to Thornrose Cemetery with Viper to see the Confederate monument.
20211006_144135.jpg

Inscriptions
20211012_213440.jpg

"As unknown and yet well-known."
Around this shaft are gathered also the remains of about 700 Confederate soldiers, not recorded by name, from fields of Allegheny, McDowell, Cross Keys, Port Republic, Piedmont &c.
Virginia forgets not any, who died in her defense.

20211012_214040.jpg

THERE IS A TRUE GLORY AND A TRUE HONOR. / THE GLORY OF DUTY DONE. / THE HONOR OF THE INTEGRITY OF PRINCIPLE. / Robert E. Lee

IMG_2847.jpg

20211006_144332.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 417557
We are headed out and stopped at Cedar Creek battlefield. If you've never visited before, I can't encourage you enough to make it a priority.
View attachment 417555

@Diane123 @Gettmore @Seduzal @Package4 @Michael W. @Ole Miss have all of you made it home by now? @NH Civil War Gal @infomanpa @SJU @JFW22 have you guys made it home?

@PaulErrett @Stone in the wall @PBRegiment im assuming since yall are local you've made it home?

@DixieRifles is evidently still trying to make it home? @bdtex @Rick Featherston James N. @mkyzzzrdet were still at the hotel when we left. And @Kathy the history sleuth has a bunch more traveling to do before she arrives home.

Everyone please check in and let us know how your travels are progressing!

A few pics from our stop at the Cedar Creek Battlefield Foundation's visitors center
View attachment 417544
View attachment 417550
View attachment 417551
View attachment 417553
Oh yes, the 3 of us all live on the mountain above Harpers Ferry & Charles Town. I may not be able to make it, but there's a re-enactment this weekend at Cedar's Creek.

@DixieRifles is evidently still trying to make it home?
I made it home with the help of a Christian who gave me a lift to the airport when the train didnt run.
The next day I went to dentist to check out the pain in my 🦷.
So this morning I’m in the dentist chair to get a root canal.

And no Jackson statue out front? 🥲 it’s just not the same
I made it home with the help of a Christian who gave me a lift to the airport when the train didnt run.
The next day I went to dentist to check out the pain in my 🦷.
So this morning I’m in the dentist chair to get a root canal.
Good luck! Was a pleasure meeting you if only briefly this past weekend!

We finally made it home about 2 hours ago. :bounce:

Monday afternoon, we stopped back in Lexington and I posted some pics above of VMI and Stonewall Cemetery. We wound up spending the night at Lexington. Those of you who were at dinner Saturday night of the Muster knew I had something special to drop off :wink: So we met @Viper21 and his son for breakfast Tuesday morning to accomplish that little delivery. :biggrin:

Afterwards, we went to check out some of the places they recommended we see. Jordan's Point on the Maury River where Stonewall Jackson's body was delivered and unloaded. The river was much higher back then.
20211012_110940.jpg

20211012_111244.jpg

And the heights across the Maury River overlooking the town of Lexington where Union General David Hunter positioned his artillery to shell VMI, Washington College, and the entire town of Lexington in 1864.

20211012_111110.jpg

Next we headed out the Maury River Road past the Virginia Horse Center where we found some of the most beautiful scenery I've ever witnessed. Keep in mind, I've been to Colorado and seen the Rocky Mountains. I've been to Yellowstone and The Great Smoky Mountains. I've toured rural North Carolina and the mountains of North Georgia. But for sheer beauty, those places don't even hold a candle to Rockbridge Baths and Goshen Pass. ❤️ It is absolutely beautiful!
20211012_115206.jpg

20211012_115133.jpg

These pictures don't really do it justice. Take my word for it.... AMAZING!
20211012_115117.jpg

After that we drove to Kodak TN where we ate dinner and then drove on to Lenoir City, TN where we spent the night last night. Drove the rest of the way home today, with a quick stop at Chickamauga and lunch at Bea's Restaurant a little family owned place in Rossville that @Norman Dasinger Jr introduced us to years ago. And now we are at home... unpacking and doing laundry.

Monday afternoon, we stopped back in Lexington and I posted some pics above of VMI and Stonewall Cemetery. We wound up spending the night at Lexington. Those of you who were at dinner Saturday night of the Muster knew I had something special to drop off :wink: So we met @Viper21 and his son for breakfast Tuesday morning to accomplish that little delivery. :biggrin:

Afterwards, we went to check out some of the places they recommended we see. Jordan's Point on the Maury River where Stonewall Jackson's body was delivered and unloaded. The river was much higher back then.
View attachment 418231

View attachment 418232

And the heights across the Maury River overlooking the town of Lexington where Union General David Hunter positioned his artillery to shell VMI, Washington College, and the entire town of Lexington in 1864.

View attachment 418233

Next we headed out the Maury River Road past the Virginia Horse Center where we found some of the most beautiful scenery I've ever witnessed. Keep in mind, I've been to Colorado and seen the Rocky Mountains. I've been to Yellowstone and The Great Smoky Mountains. I've toured rural North Carolina and the mountains of North Georgia. But for sheer beauty, those places don't even hold a candle to Rockbridge Baths and Goshen Pass. ❤️ It is absolutely beautiful!
View attachment 418234

View attachment 418235

View attachment 418236
After that we drove to Kodak TN where we ate dinner and then drove on to Lenoir City, TN where we spent the night last night. Drove the rest of the way home today, with a quick stop at Chickamauga and lunch at Bea's Restaurant a little family owned place in Rossville that @Norman Dasinger Jr introduced us to years ago. And now we are at home... unpacking and doing laundry.
If you're talking about what I think you are,...I'm glad it found a worthy home...🤗

If you're talking about what I think you are,...I'm glad it found a worthy home...🤗
Yes! Thats what I'm talking about. I know you loved it, but just know that it couldn't be in any better hands --- unless those hands belonged to NBF himself. :biggrin: Thank you again for allowing me to pass it along to a most deserving recipient.

Yes! Thats what I'm talking about. I know you loved it, but just know that it couldn't be in any better hands --- unless those hands belonged to NBF himself. :biggrin: Thank you again for allowing me to pass it along to a most deserving recipient.
The brick 🧱?

After my previous two CWT Musters, I had grand expectations to learn more great history. I also had ancestors who fought in this area which gave me a personal reason to attend the Antietam Muster. However, I felt like cancelling when the bad weather reports started appearing--- I'm so glad I didn't.

@NH Civil War Gal did a fantastic job of organizing the Muster. I know she had others who helped but I'm not sure of their roles but I want to thank them. James N. did a magnificent job at Harpers Ferry and the battlefield. Our guide, Justin, went far and beyond what I expected. After the last Muster, I saw the behind-the-scenes work that was required. I was glad to sit back and be a participant and not a go-fer. I want to thank @Stone in the wall for his input on my travel plans.
The Hampton Inn did a great job. After departing home at 3:30am, I was dead tired that first night and slept 9 hours and 40 minutes straight. I don't do that in my own bed. Their breakfast and coffee was all that I needed for a kick start.
I have to thank @Rick Featherston for chauffeuring me around. Someone described him as "quiet" but I think he is still learning how to post on his iPhone. @ErnieMac was our navigator, however I was constantly bombarding him with questions about regiments and brigades and generals that he couldn't do his job. He is another one who seems quiet but just ask him and he will have an answer.
I met so many "new guys" and new acquaintances. The local guys contributed immensely to the presentations. Enjoyed a nice lunch with @Kathy the history sleuth. I tried to find time to chat with as many as possible: @PBRegiment @Package4 @Michael W. @JFW22 and the one with the alias "Pat Sullivan".

And I can't forget to thank @rebel brit for the work he did to make the Fridge Magnets. I still have mine stuck to my Italian helmet but it's gotten too crowded. I hope every attendee appreciates the souvenir as I do.

Besides my problems with my feet, I was having some toothaches. By Sunday, I was restricted to chewing on one side. Well, I went immediately to the Dentist the morning after I got home. Today, they removed a crown and performed a root canal. I guess I was another casualty of the Battle of Antietam. If my Great-Uncle William Guest of 17th​ Mississippi Regiment could survive a wound, then I can bear this minor "wound".

3 Hours in the Chair
First time having a female dentist. She did let me wear my hat.
Dentist 2.JPG

PS: I ordered two pair of cargo pants so I could really look like @bdtex twin. They arrived the day I came home.

View attachment 418231

View attachment 418232

View attachment 418233

View attachment 418234

View attachment 418235

View attachment 418236
So, I'm guessing you can see why I chose to live where I do...?! 😍 It really is beautiful, year round. Each season has something special to offer, in the way of scenery. The pull off where y'all stopped in Goshen Pass, is great spot. I've taken many pictures there. It's a cool place to watch the sunrise, or the sunset. You should see it when it's covered in snow...!

As you could see, there aren't many conveniences where I'm at. Even 30 minutes away in Lexington is pretty weak. However, it's worth it, to live where I do, & enjoy the peaceful, quiet, area I'm in. Unless something really crazy happens, next time I move, it'll be to the cemetery. Had I been thinking right, & y'all had time, I would've taken you to the 19th century church & cemetery down the road from me (4.5 miles) for a tour. There are several Confederates buried there. One was shot at Chancellorsville, the same day as Jackson, & died a week later at a hospital in Richmond. They all have freshly painted SCH's marking their graves :wink:

Maybe next time y'all come through :cool: There's a pond next door full of Bass too :wink:

Back