Antietam 2002, What did you think of this event?

CivilWarTalk

Lieutenant General
- ★★★ -
Managing Member & Webmaster
Well, I guess I should start things off in this new sub-topic with this:

I've heard a lot of talk that the Antietam reenactment wasn't all it was cracked up to be, and that there were a lot of unhappy reenactors at the event.

What are your thoughts, feelings, comments on this event?

Mike, I was there as an Assistant Surgeon with the 76th Regimental Field Hospital and I and my friend, Dale Derick, attended the early morning Cornfield fight.

I had a good position on the field, down the hill away from the spectators, just behind the Union lines.

In my opinion, the Confederates botched the entire scenario. They came through the cornfield and would not go back, they just stood there and took no hits. It looked pretty rediculous from my view.

Then one unit went completely around the Union lines with the intention, I guess, of taking the yanks in the rear and "winning" the battle!

It was mainly the rebs trying to recreate history, NOT reenact it. It was very sad and a huge show of disrespect for those men who fought and died at the real battle 140 years ago.

After this experience, and a few others, I will no longer attend any 'eastern' events. If you cannot expect all parties to stick to the historical facts and the scenarios, all you are going to get is disapointment, not any magic moments.

YMOS,
Unionblue

The unit I belong to wasn't happy with it. To many chiefs and not enough indians. I know of the unit that you speak of and they were ordered to do that by their officer.

I was at the A140 for me it just did not measure up to A135th.The carnival atmosphere has to go. Shortages of Wood ,water,women and children in what is suppose to be military camps. Busted scenarios ,vehicles in camps you name it.
We were told after the 140th 1st Manassass that those problems would be corrected for the 140th Antietam. That turned out to be a lie. After saturday there were a lot of people saying enough is enough and left saturday evening.
Now these same organizers are plotting the next disaster G140. Once again promising to correct the problems of the past.Have we heard this before? They are real good at promising us the world,but never deliver what they promise.
On the Szabo forum there is a long whoopy do on how great the walk through tour for the G140 went and how everyone there was impressed. I know 6 people who were on that tour and not a one was impressed. The site is a terrible site that bears no resemblance to the actual battlefield. No matter where you look you will see nothing but canvas and cars.From what I understand most if not all of the battles are going to be held all on the same field.Drainage is going to be a major problem in case of rain. I drove by the site while at Rememberance day,on top of everything else it is way to small to hold any Gettysburg event.
There are a number of units as well as entire batalians refusing to partake in this mockery of history.
All this along with the last two 140th disasters I am glad we will not be attending G140.
Instead we will be participating in the living histories at the battlefield .I have taken part in the nat'l park living histories and when they promise something they deliver.
Brian Swartz

Back