Longstreet Anti-Longstreet video

Pete Longstreet

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
I recently posted a Pro-Longstreet video featuring Jeffry Wert... here is an Anti-Longstreet video featuring author and historian, Robert Krick. I found it interesting to compare the views of these two historians. This is a C-Span video. Enjoy.

Pete, thank you for posting the above link. I'll state up front I'm a huge fan of General Longstreet. Over the years I've read snippets of critiques of the general by Mr. Krick and have been curious; this is the first opportunity to hear the criticisms on video as a formal presentation. As I believe it is beneficial to hear contrary opinions to those I hold, I found this very interesting.

While many discussion points present themselves which I do not absolutely agree with, one that stands out for me, which I don't recall reading or hearing about previously, is that of Longstreet having such a dislike of Robert E. Lee as is presented. Though perhaps I've not read the proper sources or have overlooked the negatives when I've encountered them. My impression has always been General Lee and General Longstreet having the highest regard, respect and warmth toward each other.

A very enlightening presentation; again thank you for posting.

Pete, thank you for posting the above link. I'll state up front I'm a huge fan of General Longstreet. Over the years I've read snippets of critiques of the general by Mr. Krick and have been curious; this is the first opportunity to hear the criticisms on video as a formal presentation. As I believe it is beneficial to hear contrary opinions to those I hold, I found this very interesting.

While many discussion points present themselves which I do not absolutely agree with, one that stands out for me, which I don't recall reading or hearing about previously, is that of Longstreet having such a dislike of Robert E. Lee as is presented. Though perhaps I've not read the proper sources or have overlooked the negatives when I've encountered them. My impression has always been General Lee and General Longstreet having the highest regard, respect and warmth toward each other.

A very enlightening presentation; again thank you for posting.
I agree. Although a fan of Longstreet, I very much enjoy listening to people who have a negative or less than optimal view of him. I like to hear all sides, then make a self assessment of who I believe Longstreet was as a man and soldier.

Longstreet always had an affinity for Joe Johnston, and was apprehensive about Lee back when he took command in June of 62. It appears as the war continued, Longstreet's respect for Lee grew and they had a respectful and cordial relationship throughout most of the war. They obviously disagreed on certain things. A lot of the negatives on the Lee/Longstreet relationship came after the war from the Anti-Longstreet faction and from Longstreet himself who blamed Lee outright... which didn't help his cause.

Back