Antebellum Compensated Emancipation in USA

Philip Leigh

formerly Harvey Johnson
In 1844 a Quaker (Mendenhall) asked Henry Clay to explain why the Senator did not free his slaves. Clay answered by asking Mendenhall if he would pay Clay $15,000, which is what the slaves were worth. Supposing Mendenhall paid Clay the $15,000, the Senator added that Mendenhall would also need to provide the ex-slaves adequate farmland in a free state so that they may earn a living. There were costs associated with emancipation that the abolitionist apparently ignored, presumably because he would not have to pay them.

During the thirty years from 1830 to 1860 when abolitionists gained strength, did any propose compensated emancipation in the USA? While I am aware that Lincoln made several such proposals during his presidency and that Great Britain ended slavery with compensated emancipation in 1833, did America's antebellum abolitionists make any such proposals? I am also aware that Congressman Lincoln made such a proposal in 1849 for the slaves in the Columbia District, but I am not familiar with any others in the 1830-1860 period.

Last edited:
Back