Another Kepi's thoughts and opinions.

obal7

Private
Hi Here's another Kepi at the same Civil War Show as my last Post. Any thoughts, opinions or ideas as to it's authenticity and any other info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

IMG_6201.jpg
IMG_6202.jpg
IMG_6203.jpg
IMG_6204.jpg

Ok. This one I'm going to call not only a reproduction, but a fake. The navy buttons are a dead giveaway. They should be small federal eagle buttons. The green trefoil could mean 4th division, II Corps, but there was no such thing. So it could be a green shamrock, connecting it to either the Corcoran legion, or the Irish Brigade, two of the most popular and famous Union regiments. I don't think you would be handling a piece with solid provenance connecting it to either regiment with your bare hands. My Irish soul is aroused and angered. :frantic:

Thanks guys for your thoughts... I'm sure it is a repro...always helpful and insightful on this sight!

I am glad you posted this. This kind of posts teach me a lot and I enjoy reading them. I am always impressed with mow much knowledge or forum members have.

So it could be a green shamrock, connecting it to either the Corcoran legion, or the Irish Brigade, two of the most popular and famous Union regiments. I don't think you would be handling a piece with solid provenance connecting it to either regiment with your bare hands. My Irish soul is aroused and angered. :frantic:
If it seems too good to be true....
My Irish is up, too!

The Navy buttons stand out, and I'm not crazy about the sweatband/ liner either. The shamrock also screams fake. It just doesn't look right. I know I am piling on, but it is beyond fake.

The Navy buttons stand out, and I'm not crazy about the sweatband/ liner either. The shamrock also screams fake. It just doesn't look right. I know I am piling on, but it is beyond fake.
I agree; this one is definitely fake--I've never seen an original issue forage cap with a sweatband/liner anything like that one. The ones I've seen were lined with brown or black cotton, with a glazed leather sweatband.

Just for us newbies..would someone post an authentic kepi picture, with details,on liners and button? I know that when I was first collecting depression glass, some of the most helpful things I aquired was a list of " Fake" qualities/repro patterns etc.

The Navy buttons don't bother me as much as the cloth, brim and glued trefoil, corps badges were sewn on not glued. I have a kepi from a soldier killed at Fredericksburg and it has Navy buttons for some reason. The cap came directly from the family and it was taken out of the coffin when it arrived home for burial. The piece was the subject of a North South Trader's article about 10 years ago. Soldiers did strange things to their caps, but this piece isn't one of them, it also has a replaced chin strap as denoted by the slits to go over the buttons. An original chinstrap has a small hole for the button shank to go through them sewn to the hat.

Back