Another Iron clad armor question

"No 2- Represents a transverse section of the vessel showing the arrangement of the [iron] shield within the same immersed five feet below the water line. The armour for the shield is of three thicknesses of three inch plates backed by over two feet of oak. The sides of the vessel above the foot of the shield is of ordinary sheet iron after the manner of merchant vessels but divided transversely into compartments each ten feet in length."
-Francis Lee (undated report to Beauregard)
WOW 9"of iron over 24" timber, that's one h***l of a lot for what was basically a small (100ft or thereabouts)boat, and who was rolling 3" plate? Charlotte Naval Ironworks experimented with 5" but not so far as mass production.

WOW 9"of iron over 24" timber, that's one h***l of a lot for what was basically a small (100ft or thereabouts)boat, and who was rolling 3" plate? Charlotte Naval Ironworks experimented with 5" but not so far as mass production.
Yeah, that amount of protection is basically about...

380 lbs per square foot of iron
And 95 lbs per square foot of wood

So that's a total of 475 lbs of protection per square foot.

If it was 100 foot long and had armour five feet deep along the whole thing the total armour weight would be 215 tons.

Perhaps because of the shortage of iron at Charleston. Lee's ram, started in 1862, never got iron before it's single use in Aug 1863. Lee was literally scouring the countryside farms for pig iron or anything else he could lay his hands on all through 1863. In that time, it seems just about all iron went to the ironclads made there. Just a thought.
Yeah, that amount of protection is basically about...

380 lbs per square foot of iron
And 95 lbs per square foot of wood

So that's a total of 475 lbs of protection per square foot.

If it was 100 foot long and had armour five feet deep along the whole thing the total armour weight would be 215 tons.
Then there's something not quite right there somewhere . I'm sure that wouldn't float !

Then there's something not quite right there somewhere . I'm sure that wouldn't float !
Why not?

A ship 100 feet long and 20 feet wide (length to beam ratio 5) with 8 feet of draft and a block coefficient of 0.7 would have about 414 tons of possible displacement. Up the draft to 12 feet and that's 621 tons of displacement.

I mean, it's not exactly great and the iron weight is a huge fraction...

Any idea what the dimensions and block coefficient were?

Is this a typo? I can believe 3 layers of 1 inch iron. Is this for an armored belt on the waterline or for the casemate?

Back