Another great Zoom meeting.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Next week a new Zoom meeting. This time about Civil War medicine. A few years ago as a docent of the Michigan History Museum I was given a Hospital Steward uniform and asked to give a practical exercise to 3rd and 4th graders. Well 3rd and 4th graders here in Michigan will let Confederate POWs die without providing them medical treatment. So if you were a wounded Confederate, well you are just going to die if 3rd or 4th graders were doctors.

I am not sure how I feel about this. I probably allowed wounded prisoner of war die rather than allow them to go to the medical hospital at a POW camp. Wounded prisoners should go to an MASH unit not be allowed to enter a POW camp. If they die before the reach a MASH hospital that is not my problem. This may sound harsh but the medical unit at the POW Camp simply is not equipped to provide medical service to badly wounded enemy soldiers. The medical unit at a POW Camp has has 75,000 POWs to take care of as well a several thousand U.S. soldiers. There simple are not enough doctors to handing severely wounded POWs. I did provide a map to the closest MASH unit, but I doubt some severely injured POWs made it to the MASH hospital.

Back