lelliott19

Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Chickamauga 2018
The Other General Jackson - Henry Rootes Jackson.JPG

The Sunny South. (Atlanta, Ga.), April 11, 1885, page 5.
Henry Rootes Jackson
Achieving the rank of major general in the Georgia state militia, Henry Rootes Jackson is best known for organizing and commanding state troops during the Atlanta campaign.

He was born on June 24, 1820, in Athens, GA to Martha A Jaquelin Rootes and Henry Jackson. General H R Jackson was the first cousin of Howell Cobb and Thomas Reade Rootes (TRR) Cobb. Their mothers were sisters.)

In 1850 Jackson published a volume of his poetry, Tallulah and Other Poems. The editor and literary critic Evert A. Duyckinck described the poetry as "spirited and manly" and "of a patriotic interest."

In 1885 U.S. president Grover Cleveland appointed him minister to Mexico, but he resigned over a disagreement regarding U.S. government policy. https://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/articles/government-politics/henry-rootes-jackson-1820-1898

The Other General Jackson  Minister to Mexico.JPG

The Sunny South. (Atlanta, Ga.), April 11, 1885, page 5.

I know the guy more for his commander of a Georgia brigade in Bate's Division in the Franklin-Nashville Campaign, where, on the 2nd day of Nashville, he was captured at Shy Hill after trying to escape on foot and getting stuck in the mud.

IMG_20181128_213444.jpg
I'm sorry these are not good pictures, but General Jackson was included in Ezra Warner's 1959, Generals in Gray; Lives of the Confederate Commanders.

View attachment 212397 I'm sorry these are not good pictures, but General Jackson was included in Ezra Warner's 1959, Generals in Gray; Lives of the Confederate Commanders.
Thanks @Drew I did not know this:
"In 1839 he assisted in the government prosecution of the captain and owners of the slave-ship Wanderer."

History is a complicated thing, @lelliott19

We want to believe a simple narrative and it turns out it ain't necessarily so.
I thought the Wanderer was partially owned at some point by Howell Cobb's father-in-law? General HR Jackson was Howell Cobb's 1st cousin; their mothers were sisters. So HR Jackson assisted in the prosecution of his first cousin's father in law? And he prosecuted the captain and owner of a slave ship, but then enlisted and fought for the Confederacy?

Last edited:
Back