Another forgotten or overlooked figure from Gettysburg

We, historically get a laundered version of history as it is usually the victor who writes the history books.
UhOh, M E Wolf! Incoming!

Excellent post 'tho. Thanks for joining. I had to print out your post to preserve it for later digestion, it was that good.

Back to the tired "the victor writes....." Like a hospital bedsheet, history has been laundered many times by many people. By now, I figure enough people have been involved in the laundering of history to eliminate the ubiquitous "victor." (He might be living in Brazil or Columbia, but I lost track of him somewhere in 1890.)

ole

Dear Ole and List Members;

Though a wee bit astray from the Civil War--when you really look at any story, even when in your own home and four family members witness an event in an instant--stories are similar but, not exact. When time goes by, influences by other parties/witnesses creep into the story--sometimes embellishing occurs. I personally worry when someone told me the exact to the tiny details in their story/witness accounts. It is amazing how people can see differently the same thing. This holds true in investigating crimes/accidents; as well as personal events unfolding--especially when death is a breath away.

What disadvantages we (in general) have; is that we weren't there at that moment and time, in those moments between life and death; nor have we the ability to read all of their minds at that moment. Oh, how minds change from the first impression from the final summary of our logic to our personal judgment.

My personal struggle--is to not think as a modern person but more of a listener via Civil War veterans, through their books, letters, historical accounts. It is so easy to second-guess people, read between the lines and come to what we (in general) want to see/hear/understand. Over analysing is the bane of those generations that follow. What I dearly appreciate are the letters from the participants of the Civil War themselves. In addition, knowing there were women in the theater of battle; such as Lorinda Anna Blair-reciever of the Kearny Cross at the Battle of Gettysburg and buried at Arlington National Cemetery and Marie Tepe, who not only was wounded in the ankle at the Battle of Fredericksburg and served in multiple battles to include Gettysburg; women have a different perspective. Each person-male, female, young and or old--each sees things differently and just as valid.

There is a old poem:
For want of a horseshoe nail

For want of a nail, the shoe was lost.
For want of a shoe, the horse was lost.
For want of a horse, the rider was lost.
For want of a rider, the battle was lost.
For want of a battle, the kingdom was lost.
And all for want of a horseshoe nail.

--George Herbert

It could easily be, in my opinion changed as to read:
For want of a soldier, the company was lost.
For the want of a company, the regiment was lost.
For the want of a regiment, the battle was lost.
For the want of a battle, the Civil War was lost.
All for the want of a soldier.

Just some thoughts.

Sincerely,
M. E. Wolf

In regard to Col. Chamberlain and the Medal of Honor:

Dear List Members;

I looked into the site:
http://www.curtislibrary.com/pejepscot/htm

The search I went under was--who submitted Colonel Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain of the Civil War for the Medal of Honor?

It came back with a biograph of Colonel Chamberlain. It is written that Colonel Chamberlain did not get the Medal of Honor until 1893 by the US Congress. The US Congress made the Medal of Honor (MoH) a permanent decoration in 1863. The US Congress gave 1,195 MoH to the Army; 308 to the Navy, 17 to the Marines and 4 to civilians--and 25 medals were award posthumously.
His MoH was for the actions and valor at Gettysburg, at the Little Round Top.

Sergeat Andrew Tozier's MoH was issued to him, August 13, 1898. His acts of bravery in defending his colors at Gettysburg, while others in the color guard were killed, he held his flag, kneeling with the flag craddled in his elbow/arm and used weapons around him to fire at the enemy. He was all alone in this endeavour. This was reported by Col. Chamberlain.

I cannot help but wonder who might have submitted Colonel Chamberlain's name as to receive the MoH. However, I do recall in the movie Gettysburg, that General Meade asked for Chamberlain's report. There was also the possibility, that the officers who witnessed these events unfold might have recommended Col. Chamberlain. I personally don't feel someone could recommend themselves for the MoH. I do recall that General Grant, hearing that Col. Chamberlain who was suffering a 'classified' mortal wound to both hips--General Grant promoted him on the field. He recovered and went on to serve. General Grant selected Chamberlain to receive the first flag of the Confederates to be surrendered by General Gordon. To me, it might have very well been General Grant who recommended Chamberlain for the MoH or anybody from Gettysburg.

Just some thoughts.

Sincerely,
M. E. Wolf

Post Script aka P.S.: Love the smileys.

Back