Another Civil War Reenactment May Soon be History

This breaks my heart. For multiple reasons. The main one being how much education is being lost. Don't get rid of it altogether - revamp it, refocus it; but, don't get rid of it.

I fear if other events don't start making more of an attempt to fuel them with a tremendous amount of education this will start happening more. I believe there already is a huge amount of knowledge to be found but apparently it isn't enough. We might have to start pandering a little bit and giving in on things to keep them going but I feel it would be worth it in the end.

Sadly this occurrence will continue to repeat itself in the future, I'm afraid. Uneducated politicians making decisions over historical events they no nothing about. The politician in question makes the statement in the article that "black troops were placed in the front lines so they would be killed first." Where did he get his information to make that statement?

Sadly this occurrence will continue to repeat itself in the future, I'm afraid. Uneducated politicians making decisions over historical events they no nothing about. The politician in question makes the statement in the article that "black troops were placed in the front lines so they would be killed first." Where did he get his information to make that statement?

I noticed the same statement. I was planning on looking it up to see how much truth , if any there is to that statement.

I'm calling this for what it is. "We don't like you so you have to leave". Okay, fine, I'll go play were I'm wanted.( probably with nicer, more tolerant people)
There are plenty of place's that would welcome Civil War living history and reenactments.Let them have they're safe space.

...There are plenty of place's that would welcome Civil War living history and reenactments...

At least in Northern Illinois area, no. Having attempted with others to revive a couple of these events, I can tell you there are not plenty of other places that welcome Civil War living histories or reenactments any more.

Besides Wauconda now on the chopping block, several others had been discontinued. A big one in Rockford but also Marengo, Franklin Grove and more recently Dollinger Farm. Even the great Boscobel reenactment in Southern Wisconsin has been reduced to a "timeline" event (which at least has a CW component). Several small town Living Histories in Northern Illinois had been discontinued over past years as well, places like Sycamore, Pontiac etc.

There's been a brave attempt to create a national scale event in Southern Illinois at Pickneyville, but no judgement can be made on that yet given the disappointing participation at this year's event (was it the weather? was it too early in the year?).

Last edited:
The article mentions that they are going forward with it, but sounds like that is more because a last minute cancellation would mean contracts already in place would be broken. It sounds like if the President has his way, this will be the last year.

For sure, however if the same people make the same fuss he needs to reconsider others instead of himself! See my other post about it in detail: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/ci...-rages-over-events-value.159028/#post-2073983

I have participated in this event for the last 3 years, this would be my 4th.
Of all the events that I participate in per year (10 events per year) this event is the most educational, with many "hands-on" activities for spectators, camp walks, camp cooking competitions, interaction with the reenactors, etc. As such, it generates a lot of cash, via the admission fee, for the County.
Educationally and economically, the County would hurt itself if they have no future events. Additionally, reenactors spend a lot of money in their county when they buy gas, food, etc.

I have participated in this event for the last 3 years, this would be my 4th.
Of all the events that I participate in per year (10 events per year) this event is the most educational, with many "hands-on" activities for spectators, camp walks, camp cooking competitions, interaction with the reenactors, etc. As such, it generates a lot of cash, via the admission fee, for the County.
Educationally and economically, the County would hurt itself if they have no future events. Additionally, reenactors spend a lot of money in their county when they buy gas, food, etc.
https://civilwartalk.com/threads/ci...-rages-over-events-value.159028/#post-2073983

No, what I mean is does the site have a direct and substantive connection to the Civil War that makes interpreting the conflict on that location vital and contextual? Or is it a nice place to do our hobby in a public place (which often comes at a fairly minimal cost to reenactors)? If it's the former, then there is a compelling reason to frame an argument for the event to continue. If the latter, well, it may be time to let it go. Reenacting is not the same as it was 30ish years ago when this event started. 125th Gettysburg was in Time magazine; Ken Burns was on t.v. What we'd been doing as a niche hobby was hot everywhere. Things have changed. A long conflict has left a populace less interested in watching someone play war. Security and insurance costs tax budgets. We are again a niche hobby. My question is really: is there a good reason for this site to allow reenactors to use the property? Or is it time to take the act to a private venue?

Back