1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Another book about the Battle of Gettysburg

Discussion in 'Book & Movie Review Tent' started by GABoy, Jan 15, 2018.

1. GABoy

GABoy Private

I know somewhere there is a thread for Gettysburg books but I'll be hanged if I can find it. My wife got me a book this past Christmas that I have never seen before, anywhere. It is called The Illustrated Gettysburg Reader (An Eyewitness History of the Civil War's Greatest Battle). Not only does it have good historical text that is in line with just about anything else I have read about this battle, but includes first person narrative by eyewitnesses. Some of these stories detail events I've not read about elsewhere and cover some of the more obscure events that did occur within the battle. I especially acquired a new admiration for Greene and his men, and others on Culp's Hill. The book is authored by Rod Gragg, published by Regnery History. Anyone else seen this book?

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Hawkeye Brehm

Hawkeye Brehm Sergeant

Yep, I have it in hardcover; you can find it at Barnes & Noble in paperback. Great bathroom reader, for those who don't play "toilet golf". :tongue:

4. east tennessee roots

east tennessee roots Captain

I've seen the book and glanced through it. Looks like it'd be great ! I've read Rod's book about the 26th NC at Gettysburg. He's a great writer.

5. E_just_E

E_just_E Moderator Moderator

I think it was published in the summer of 2013 or so for the 150 years

Hawkeye Brehm likes this.
  6. JerseyBart

JerseyBart Brigadier General Moderator Forum Host

Gettysburg books will likely make $$$ for the foreseeable future.

...not that that is a bad thing.

7. rpkennedy

rpkennedy Major

That is very true. The downside is that there is a lot of junk out there but they sell because they are about Gettysburg. For those not in the know, it can be difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Ryan

8. Hawkeye Brehm

Hawkeye Brehm Sergeant

Very true. I've learned to look at the footnotes and bibliography for cited sources; buying "blind" off the internet can be a veritable game of Civil War Roulette.

rpkennedy likes this.
  9. Ole Miss

Ole Miss Corporal

I am currently reading Harry Pfanz's Gettysburg---Culp's Hill and Cemetery Hill, which I finding to be very well written history book.
    I am looking for additional material about the fighting at Culp's Hill on July 2 and 3 as my GGGrandfather, Joseph Piner, was in the 3rd North Carolina Infantry (CSA), part of Steuart's Brigade, Johnson's Division, Ewell's Corps. Any suggestions would greatly appreciated.
    Regards
    David

10. Mark A

Mark A Private

There are a few brief mentions of the 3rd NC in THE FORGOTTEN HERO OF GETTYSBURG by David W Palmer. The book is about General George Sears Greene fighting on Culp's Hill on July 2 & 3. Probably nothing more than you have already read but a source nonetheless.

Hawkeye Brehm and Ole Miss like this.
  11. infomanpa

infomanpa First Sergeant

You ain't kidding! There are hundreds of books on Gettysburg.

rpkennedy likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)